[bestbits] A simple question for JNC members

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Oct 31 18:12:16 EDT 2014

Hello David

JNC hereby replies to your question as follows:

Your question may, as you describe it, be a “simple” one. However what
you are asking about is really a difficult topic. We believe that a
quite significant amount of innovation in the area of governance models
is going to be needed in order to achieve an acceptable solution.

In point 18 of our Delhi Declaration (which is the foundational document
of JNC; see http://justnetcoalition.org/delhi-declaration ) this is
expressed as follows:

  Globally, there is a severe democratic deficit with regard to
  Internet governance. It is urgently required to establish
  appropriate platforms and mechanisms for global governance of
  the Internet that are democratic and participative. These must
  be anchored to the UN system, and include innovative methods
  for ongoing and deep participation of non-governmental actors
  in policy making processes. Participating non-governmental
  actors must in turn be subject to appropriate transparency
  requirements, in particular regarding sources of funding as
  well as membership and decision-making processes.

Also relevant to your question is our recent statement “Governing the
global Internet – is the status quo the only option?”, available at
http://justnetcoalition.org/sites/default/files/ITU_PP_2014_Stmt2.pdf .

Further, we are working towards a more well-developed position in this
area, and we plan to publish a significant document on this topic in the
near future.

We thank you for your interest in our work.

On behalf of JNC,
greetings,
Norbert
co-convenor, Just Net Coalition (JNC)