[bestbits] APC remarks on the ITU's 2014 plenipotentiary conference

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Mon Oct 27 14:23:06 EDT 2014

Thanks Anne.

It was not easy. But it did help to have the other statements from CS to
look at and reflect on.

We tried hard to find a tone that will encourage delegates to take the
comments seriously, particularly by developing countries, but we should
have finished this much earlier.
What both Deborah and I agree on, and possibly others would also agree
with us, is that civil society does not have clearly though tout demands
when it comes to cyber security.

My proposal would be that this becomes a topic for Best Bits and Web We
Want to think about and work on in the near future.

We need something substantial such as 'necessary and proportionate'. We
need to know what we want, not just what we don't want.

Anriette

On 27/10/2014 20:13, Anne Jellema wrote:
> Great work Anriette and Deborah. Cogent, well argued and well written.
> Kudos.
> best
> Anne
>
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 8:02 PM, Anriette Esterhuysen
> <anriette at apc.org <mailto:anriette at apc.org>> wrote:
>

>     Dear all
>
>     Attached are APC's remarks on the ITU's 2014 plenipotentiary
>     conference.
>
>     Please do send us your feedback.
>
>     Anriette

> Anne Jellema
> CEO
> +27 061 36 9352 (ZA)
> +1 202 684 6885 (US)
> @afjellema
> *
> *
> *World Wide Web Foundation | 1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500,
> Washington DC, 20005, USA | www.webfoundation.org
> <http://www.webfoundation.org/> | Twitter: @webfoundation*

anriette esterhuysen
executive director
association for progressive communications
po box 29755, melville, 2109, south africa
anriette at apc.org
www.apc.org