[bestbits] Time-sensitive: 24 hour sign on period for ITU Plenipot joint recommendations

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 15:57:18 EDT 2014

You can of course a la the Lewis Carroll’s the Queen of Hearts define anything you like as whatever you like but I’m very curious how your reconcile the current practice of MSism with this definition of Participatory Democracy (from Wikipedia

Participatory democracy is a process emphasizing the broad  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Participation_%28decision_making%29> participation of constituents in the direction and operation of political systems. Etymological roots of  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy> democracy (Greek  <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/demos> demos and  <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CE%BA%CF%81%CE%AC%CF%84%CE%BF%CF%82> kratos) imply that the people are in power and thus that all democracies are participatory. …

Participatory democracy strives to create opportunities for all members of a population to make meaningful contributions to decision-making, and seeks to broaden the range of people who have access to such opportunities.

It seems to me that decision making a la MSism by self-appointed elites (corporates, their governmental allies and whomever else they choose to participate) hardly qualifies as “creat(ing) opportunities for all members of a population to make meaningful contributions to decision-making”.

But maybe I’m missing something.