[bestbits] [governance] Re: [IRPCoalition] [JNC - Forum] Time-sensitive: 24 hour sign on period for ITUPlenipot joint recommendations

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 12:21:46 EDT 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Hill [mailto:rhill at hill-a.ch]
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:54 AM
To: Baudouin Schombe; governance at lists.igcaucus.org; Kleinwächter, Wolfgang
Cc: Anriette Esterhuysen; michael gurstein; Milton L Mueller; bestbits at lists.bestbits.net; IRP; JNC Forum
Subject: RE: [governance] Re: [IRPCoalition] [JNC - Forum] Time-sensitive: 24 hour sign on period for ITUPlenipot joint recommendations

Paragraph 34 of the Tunis Agenda reads:

"34. A working definition of Internet governance is the development and application by governments, the private sector and civil society, in their respective roles, of shared principles, norms, rules, decision-making procedures, and programmes that shape the evolution and use of the Internet."

The "respective roles" are outlined in paragraph 35, which includes the following:

"a. Policy authority for Internet-related public policy issues is the sovereign right of States. They have rights and responsibilities for international Internet-related public policy issues."

The only use of the expression "equal footing" is found in paragraph 69, where it refers to equal footing among governments.  This language was specifically addressing the asymmetric role of the US government.

Thus I cannot agree with Wolfgang's interpetation to the effect that the WSIS outcomes imply that Internet governance should be based on a model in which stakeholders operate  on equal footing and decisions are made by rough consensus and without veto rights.

Note that, at present, in the formal treaty-making processes, each state in effect has veto rights, because no treaty binds a state unless it has been ratified at the national level.  In democratic countries, ratification is usually an act of parliament.

That is, there is democratic control over treaties and their effects.  This is not just theory, it is practice: ACTA was defeated by parliaments.

So removing "veto rights" would, in my view, be undemocratic, because states would then be bound by decisions taken by "rough consensus" in some international forum, and the citizens of states could not challenge those decisions through their normal democratic processes.  For example, we would all be stuck with ACTA.

Paragraph 72 of the Tunis Agenda describes the IGF.  But it must be understood in context, that is, in relation with paragraphs 34 and 35.

Best,
Richard