[bestbits] [IRPCoalition] [JNC - Forum] Time-sensitive: 24 hour sign on period for ITU Plenipot joint recommendations

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 08:46:35 EDT 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Hill [mailto:rhill at hill-a.ch]
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 2:22 AM
To: Niels ten Oever; parminder; michael gurstein; 'Anne Jellema'
Cc: bestbits at lists.bestbits.net; 'IRP'; governance at lists.igcaucus.org; forum at justnetcoalition.org
Subject: RE: [bestbits] [IRPCoalition] [JNC - Forum] Time-sensitive: 24 hour sign on period for ITU Plenipot joint recommendations

Please see below.

Thanks and best,
Richard

And I'm amazed that such an unbalanced statement is produced by a process that I never heard of.

So it seems perfectly appropriate to me that those of us who were surprised by that statement make public comments about it.

> It's perhaps slightly ironic that some of the people that you accuse
> of pushing the neo-liberal model were exactly the ones at ICANN51 in
> LA pushing for a human rights mechanism within ICANN.

To me, the first human rights mechanism to push for is democracy, that is the right of everyone to take part in public policiy decisions, either directly or through freely chosen representatives.  So I'd like to see proposals to move ICANN in that direction, for example by making it a membership organization accountable to its members.

> I am surprised that you see discussing issues of content and privacy
> at the ITU a part of evolving democratic governance. The ITU is not
> nearly transparent enough for this to be an appropriate venue to
> discuss this.

We agree that the ITU must become more open and transparent.  But that is the case of all other forums that might be candidates for discussing such issues.

For example, WIPO did not accept the Pirate Party's request for admission as an observer.  The opposition came from the USA.

So the discussion in ITU should be (1) it must become more open and transparent and (2) it should do this or that.

If you don't want the ITU to discuss the issues, then who should discuss the issues?

I suppose that you might refer to what are called multi-stakeholder forums such as Netmundial or IGF.  But we all know that those forums cannot make tough decisions.  Look at what happened at Netmundial regarding mass surveillance (reaffirmed language agreed in the UN General Assembly) and net neutrality (agreed that it is an issue to be further studied).

So what forum is proposed in which tough decisions can be made?

>Surveillance is not just an attack on infrastructure, it  is a serious
>interference with the human right to privacy. The ITU has  not got
>sufficient competence when it comes to human rights.
> Discussing privacy violations and surveillance should start with the
>UN Human Rights Council.

The discussions in the Human Rights Council have taken place, and the conclusions are, as we all know, clear: mass surveillance must be stopped.

So it is no longer a question of starting discussions.  It is a question of taking effective measures to end this violation of human rights.

Secrecy (meaning privacy) of telecommunications has been a fundamental concept from the inception of telecommunications.  An article to that effect was included in the 1865 treaty that created the ITU and has been present in the ITU Constitution ever since.  At present, the article reads as follows:

ARTICLE 37 - Secrecy of Telecommunications

1 Member States agree to take all possible measures, compatible with the system of telecommunication used, with a view to ensuring the secrecy of international correspondence.

2 Nevertheless, they reserve the right to communicate such correspondence to the competent authorities in order to ensure the application of their national laws or the execution of international conventions to which they are parties.

I am among those who believe that the current language in the ITU Constitution is inadequate and should be improved.  Some concrete proposals to that effect have been made, see for example:

  http://justnetcoalition.org/sites/default/files/HCHR_report_final.pdf

I would have expected at least acknowlegement of the laudable intent of such proposals, if not outright support.

> Saying that the ITU is not the right platform to discuss this is not
> at all the same thing as saying that this issue should be left to the
> market or the US government (or five/nine-eyes for that matter).

Why shouldn't the issue be discussed in ITU, as well as in all other appropriate forums?  Surely there is no harm in making it clear in all possible forums that mass surveillance must end.  Just as we must make it clear in all possible forums that censorship must end.  And that social and economic justice must prevail.

>And I
> would even say that it is an deliberate misrepresentation that does
>not help the substantive discussion, and the deep thinking that is
>indeed needed, any further.

I'd now like to turn in more detail to a couple of specific areas of the statement that you are defending.

Spectrum policy
===============

The statement that you are defending call on the ITU to give high priority to the development and implementation of license exempt global standards for dynamic spectrum access.

In case people don't know, that topic is more commonly referred to as "white spaces" and it is about using a portion of the frequency band that has been deliberately left unused in order to minimize interference, see for example:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spaces_(radio)

Whether or not it makes sense to allow such use is very much a national matter (in fact maybe even a local matter).  Which does not mean that it should not be discussed in ITU: indeed, harmonization of national practices is the very reason why intergovernmental bodies exist.

But I would have expected civil society to consider the economic aspects of this issue. It is widely accepted that radio frequencies are a public good, to be managed in the interests of all citizens.  And it is common for states to derive revenue from the commercial use of certain frequencies.

So, for example, a civil society position could be that "white space" should not be made freely accessible, but should be subject to auctions.  Or maybe not, but for sure the matter deserves some discussion.

For more on the commercial aspects of this issue, see for example:

  http://www.techrepublic.com/article/white-space-the-next-internet-disruption-10-things-to-know/

It is also worth noting that Google is quite involved in this, see:

  http://www.cnet.com/news/fcc-approves-googles-white-space-database-operation/

International Connection

The statement that you are defending essentially calls on the ITU not to take any steps that would address the cost of international Internet connectivity.  Yet those costs have long been considered to be an issue that has hampered access to the Internet in developing countries, see:

  http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com03/iic/

  http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-D.50-201305-I!Sup2

For sure, some take the view that purely national measures are sufficient, which is what your statement says, but that is by no means a consensus view.  On the contrary, it is the view of developed countries, whose position is no doubt influenced by the economic interests of their large private operators.

I am surprised that civil society is overtly taking the side of big businesss in this debate.

Similar comments apply to some of the other portions of the statement that you are defending, but I will stop here (at least for now).