[bestbits] Time-sensitive: 24 hour sign on period for ITU Plenipot joint recommendations

Anne Jellema anne at webfoundation.org
Thu Oct 23 01:51:11 EDT 2014

Hi Norbert

The pre-IGF BB meeting in Istanbul (report on the BB website) agreed on the
creation of three fluid working groups. Carolina's note on the outcomes of
this meeting, sent to the Best Bits list on 9 September, outlined these
groups and who to contact if you wanted to join. Snippet below:

>    - *ITU working group:* A group of volunteers (see the list in the BB
>    report) has been formed. If you'd like to join, please contact Anne Jellema
>    <anne at webfoundation.org> and myself.

 About 30 people requested to join the ITU working group, were duly added
and introduced themselves to the group; no one who asked was turned down.

The group decided not to open its email list archive. Many of the group
members are participating in government delegations, which is a valuable
source of information and intelligence that CS needs for effective advocacy
(especially in the ITU context where access to documents is highly
restricted), but requires that you accept a duty to treat that information
with great care. Those on delegations felt that there was some of this
information that they could responsibly share with a group of 30 people
whose identities, affiliations and reasons for participating in the group
they knew, but not with an open mailing list of 370 people.

Second, as mentioned above and also stressed in my note to the list the
other day, this was a group of volunteers who prepared a statement and
opened it to the wider BB list for endorsement (or not). The statement has
not been issued in the name of "civil society" or "Best Bits" but only in
the name of the organisations who chose to sign it.

I hope that answers your questions but feel free to follow up.

Best,
Anne

--
Anne Jellema
CEO

*World Wide Web Foundation | 1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington DC,
20005, USA | www.webfoundation.org <http://www.webfoundation.org/> |
Twitter: @webfoundation*