[bestbits] CS @ MAG & IGF /WSIS+10 meetings in Geneva

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Fri Nov 14 10:14:11 EST 2014

Bill

Great idea thanks!

For those who are attending the CSTD meeting, Friday will be key as
there will be a full day on WSIS.  The report that Bill links to in his
mail will also be up for discussion.  We should expect some/many of the
difficult discussions we witnessed during the WSIS+10 review to
resurface on Friday.  The report is very fair one and worth a read - but
there will be states that will object to it and/or to parts of it.  I
think it worthwhile that those of us who are attending meet on Thursday
to discuss how we can best coordinate our interests.

Matthew

On 11/14/2014 8:54 AM, William Drake wrote:
> Hi
>
> Adding the governance list.
>
> To Ginger’s point: First, please not that tomorrow 15 November is the
> last day to do online registration for the IGF open consultation and
> MAG meeting.  After that, getting in may require you to arm wrestle
> the ITU’s praetorian guard.
> https://intgovforum.org/cms/index.php?option=com_jevents&task=icalrepeat.detail&evid=30&Itemid=28&year=2014&month=12&day=01&title=igf-open-consultations-and-mag-meeting&uid=0f4d62692449d836cd076da879ff1f11
>

> Second, Lea has suggested that retiring and incoming CS MAG members
> get together for some updating and brainstorming on the current state
> of play in MAG.  I think this would be a really good idea, as it has
> often been difficult in recent years to get the CS contingent to
> strategically collaborate, and we have an opportunity to reboot
> efforts here.  This would be particularly important with respect to
> this meeting, which should significantly impact whether the IGF takes
> seriously the NETmundial mandate with regard to strengthening the process:
>
> /Improvements should include inter-alia:
> a. Improved outcomes: Improvements can be implemented including
> creative ways of providing outcomes/recommendations and the analysis
> of policy options;
> b. Extending the IGF mandate beyond five-year terms;
> c. Ensuring guaranteed stable and predictable funding for the IGF,
> including through a broadened donor base, is essential;
> d. The IGF should adopt mechanisms to promote worldwide discussions
> between meetings through intersessional dialogues.
> A strengthened IGF could better serve as a platform for discussing
> both long standing and emerging issues with a view to contributing to
> the identification of possible ways to address them./
>
> Some of these were key objectives that the IGC promoted since 2005
> before interest in the IGF dissipated a bit in recent years.  Now with
> the NM statement as a platform there’s never been a better time to
> push to make the IGF a bit more focused, useful, and hopefully able to
> draw back into discussion more developing country government
> participants.  However it will not be easy as there are well organized
> forces who’d oppose any changes that make the IGF more than a talk
> shop, and the chair is, to put it mildly, rather cautious.  Hence the
> current draft agenda for the MAG meeting relegates intersessional work
> and improved outcomes to being just one of four topics covered in a
> three hour session, not a promising start.  I noted that would not be
> enough time, and received the zen response that we have the time we
> have (much of which is in fact underprogrammed).  So if CS cares to
> push for a more focused discussion and an action-oriented IGF, this
> would require coordination.
>
> I believe some people will be arriving arriving the previous week, as
> the CSTD intersessional
> [...]

Matthew Shears
Director - Global Internet Policy and Human Rights
Center for Democracy & Technology (CDT)
mshears at cdt.org
+ 44 771 247 2987