[bestbits] Fwd: new report + searchable website of existing cyber definitions

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 11:04:51 EST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tim Maurer <maurernewamerica at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Subject: new report + searchable website of existing cyber definitions
To: ran at ourinternet.org

Dear all,

You might be interested in a new report we published yesterday outlining
existing definitions of cybersecurity and information security related
which are also accessible via a new website: cyberdefinitions.newamerica.org

The study was funded by the Swiss government that currently chairs the
Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE). The report was
written to provide input for the OSCE’s efforts to develop
confidence-building measures to reduce the risks of conflict stemming from
the use of cyberspace. The study offers a compilation of existing
definitions primarily provided by international organizations and standard
setting bodies as well as outlined in national (cyber-) security strategies
and documents of states. These are complemented by terms from a few
selected other sources such as the Oxford Dictionary on Computing.

We expect that this data will also be useful for a much broader audience –
including the RAN – as well as policy-makers and scholars, so we also
launched the new website to make it more accessible. It includes a form to
submit new definitions which will allow us to keep the website up to do
date and to potentially expand it over time.

Any feedback is most welcome as well as future submissions.

Best,

Tim

--

Tim Maurer