[bestbits] [governance] Webinar Invitation on the Official Launch of the NETmundial Initiative | 6 November at 15:00 UTC

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Nov 4 19:08:52 EST 2014

Thanks Bill and Wolfgang  for the clarifications.

I am not sure that I will be able to handle a webinar at 2am AEDT, but perhaps those listening in could get clarity on this, ie

Virgilio could be asked to comment on ongoing use of Netmundial name and any involvement with cgi.br as regards this.

It would also be good to raise again in this context the issue of civil society (and other stakeholders for that matter) determining their own representation on the Co-ordinating Committee, and getting some indication of possible timeframes and procedures for this.

One thing that has advanced since the last time involvement with WEF was raised as a possibility is a broadly agreed on procedure as regards civil society participation if CSCG is to be involved, ie

       “CSCG will not be involved in any appointments of CS representatives if more than 35% of its coalition members determine not to be involved in the process, or where the number with a clear determination to be involved does not exceed those expressing a wish not to be involved. (Others may have a neutral or undecided stance). Where coalition members choose not to be involved and a decision to proceed is made, their decision to do so will be announced (if they so wish) as part of any announcement of chosen representatives. The decision to be involved or not is the primary responsibility of each constituency.”

The coalition members for this purpose would be IGC, Best Bits, Just Net, Diplo, NCSG, and APC. I suspect, as regards any timeframes, it would be quite quick to select representatives once coalitions had determined whether to be involved or not, but the decision as to whether to be involved by each group could take some time; particularly if there is not clarity as regards structures, processes etc.

So a lot of clarity would be very useful! I will try to make the webinar, but I do suggest others should seek as much clarity as possible on these structural and procedural issues.

Ian Peter