[bestbits] [governance] From Confusion to Clarification

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Fri Nov 28 04:11:59 EST 2014

On Friday, November 28, 2014, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <
wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:

> Hi everybody
>
> After weeks of confusing conflicts let´s move towards clarifying
> collaboration. What we have seen in the recent (sometimes unfriendly)
> disputes is that there are many different  civil society activists with
> different civil society positions. This is confusing, both for newcomers
> who want to join civil society groups in Internet Governance discussions as
> well as for other stakeholders who want to collaborate with civil society.
> On the othher Hand: This is natural. The civil Society Stakeholder Groups
> has similar differences as the governmental stakeholder group if you
> compare the governmental positions of China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, US, EU,
> Brazil, India, Japan, Australia etc.
> This not the Problem. The probllem is that you have to know what the
> position. So it is about transparency and clarity.
>
> Here is a proposal how to move forward:  We have seen so many people
> writing long e-mails arguing for their position. Wouldn´t it be better if
> we use this energy to write more comprehensive and structured position or
> issue papers so that newbies or outsiders will better understand what the
> real points under discussions are in CS circles? We have seen rather
> different arguments around the same issue from JNC to APC and NCUC folks.

For what it's worth, coming from a "governmental" person (recovering from
IG addiction) with an extensive history working in (and quarreling, I meant
constructively engaging, with) civil society groups, I think this is an
excellent idea - provided that the booklet is short, to the point,
completely free of acronyms (I guess this will be the hardest part) and
providing some concrete and actionable suggestions.

The amount of writing that is distributed on IG mailing lists is
staggering, and it's a pity that all these discussions are ultimately lost
in online archives that nobody, except die-hard IG addicts, will ever
check.

All the best,

Andrea

I speak only for myself. Sometimes I do not even agree with myself. Keep it
in mind.
Twitter: @andreaglorioso
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/andrea.glorioso
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=1749288&trk=tab_pro