[bestbits] CSCG - participation in selection of civil society representatives for NMI Coordination Council

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 15:49:24 EST 2014

Rather than focusing on a specific set of processes (that of the CSCG) or the actions of an individual within that process, which I have no doubt were conducted with the highest degrees of probity and judiciousness, I think the follow up-discussion to the taking of a position by certain segments of IG CS should be to address the substance and the consequences of that commitment into which IG CS has apparently now entered.

The issue being addressed is extremely simple and straightforward.

Will Internet Governance associated Civil Society engage with and thus endorse/validate/legitimate the WEF/ICANN initiated process for responding to Internet Governance issues beyond the simply technical?

That this discussion with the NMI has been primarily about ensuring the engagement and thus legitimation by CS of the NMI is quite clear from the last minute efforts to cloak the initiative in the presumed civil society legitimacy of CGI.br.

That the particular details of that engagement/legitimation by CS are of little concern to the NMI is also quite evident from their eagerness to negotiate with the CSCG and apparently make whatever concessions were necessary in order to ensure that engagement.

By engaging in the NMI process under whatever conditions and limitations, it should be quite clear that IG CS has endorsed and legitimated the NMI global (Internet) Governance process.

The consequences of this action and this “commitment” are potentially extremely, even historically significant. (Suggesting that one can change one’s mind and withdraw half way through the process is simply a face-saving device.)

The WEF in its various presentations and documents is quite transparent that they have every intention of introducing similar such processes throughout the entire range of global issues.  They have also made it quite evident that these processes will actively include the global corporate sector and given the nature of the WEF one presumes that this will consist of (and from their perspective be restricted to) the global corporate and other elites.

It is quite clear that IG CS has endorsed and legitimated the global elite’s corporatist agenda.

Mike