[bestbits] Whether to participate in NETmundial Initiative - RFC

Nnenna Nwakanma nnenna75 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 22:34:40 EST 2014

.  However, what the CSCG can do is to advise the

> organisers which candidates, from amongst those who self-nominated
> through its process, should be selected - rather than allowing the
> organisers to cherry-pick.  In doing that, a very strong message about
> our concerns can also be passed back to them for action.

I think that will be ridiculous.  If CSCG decides not to engage in NMI
nominations, it should stand by that, and leave nominations alone. It is
because we dont want organisers to cherry-pick that we are asking CSCG to
run the CS nomination process.  And no, if someone self-nominates and gets
selected, the individual does not owe global CS any accountability. I think
accountability is a right of those being represented. So we cannot require
accountability where we did not give a mandate

> The CSCG is deliberating upon this now, but based on the discussions on
> this list and the messages given both in favour and against
> participation, the most broadly acceptable option seems for us to
> support that compromise.  But let's see whether the other members of the
> Civil Society Coordination Group (besides JNC) agree on that - if not,
> we will not participate even to the extent of recommending candidates
> who have self-nominated. Either way, we should know by tomorrow and I
> will write back to this list then with more news then.

Thanks for all the good work. I know that from IGC list, the "ayes" have it.

Nnenna