[bestbits] [governance] Re: NMI and the Brazilian CGI.br

parminder at itforchange.net parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Nov 23 09:49:31 EST 2014

Dear Carlos,

Lets be fair in our comparison. Lula going to Davos is not at all
comparable to Brazil joining WEF for a new global governance platform for
the Internet. Do you really not see the difference here? (Although it is
instructive that many people in Brazil opposed Lula even going to the
WEF!)

JNC has nothing against WEF as a clique of global big business advocating
their view of how the world should be, or  how it should be governed.

JNC would even be happy to speak at Davos to share its own views on this
matter, and/ or other matters. It would also be glad to hear other views
and engage in a discussion,

So you see, just going to Davos is not the issue. Lula's visit to Davos is
an absolutely unviable justification for Brazil's support for NMI.

Carlos, you know what NMI is, right. It is an effort to fill an
increasingly undeniable 'gap' about the need to address and resolve many
pressing global IG issues, especially the ones which fall on the 'public
policy' or non-technical side. There is enough matter around testifying to
this fact for me to have to quote specific texts for you. And they need to
act NOW, because they are afraid of and must anticipate other possible
processes like the WSIS plus 10 one, which could be around the corner.

This is not at all like Lula going to Davis to give his vision of the
world to those assembled at Davos.  It is about a new governance paradigm,
platform and system. And our fight is against that new global governance
paradigm, and our appeal to Brazil gov and CGI is not to contribute to
building this new global governance paradigm that is run by the global
elite, with some cooptations here and there to garner some amount of
legitimacy. This is as clear as daylight.

I am stressing this point because CGI.Br which is joining in as a partner
of what is essentially an ICANN-WEF game must give us a clearer view of
what they think and know of this initiative. It will be such a pity if
they join in ignorance, and even more, if others follow them in ignorance.

The JNC statement on the NMI (
http://justnetcoalition.org/NMI-neoliberal-caravan ) quotes WEF texts on
how they seek co-governance by corporations and governments on actual
public policy issues, how the IG space is the ideal place to start with
such an governance -by-elite model, and as digitalisation of all social
systems take place, this model becomes the default for all areas and
sectors. Can the Brazil government and CGI.Br really profess ignorance
about these facts. If not, what is their response to these regressive
global governance models which strike at the heart of democracy that the
WEF professes, and of which the NMI is no doubt a lead element?

We need to discuss these issues. It is not enough to make
mother-and-applepie statements like CGI.Br will never join a top-down
initiative. One cannot change the WEF view and scheme for the world just
by using terms like bottom-up in places where they simply do not belong.
In fact it is so embarrassing that this term is being used anywhere near
the vicinity of WEF at all, which was famously described as fat cats
meeting in snow.

I think Brazil and CGI.Br are putting at stake their hard won global
reputation and goodwill. I just consider it my duty to forewarn them,
especially since as you know I and my organization have long worked
closely with them on many issues.

Best regards

Parminder