[bestbits] [governance] Re: NMI and the Brazilian CGI.br

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Sun Nov 23 07:08:00 EST 2014

Am 23.11.14 02:23, schrieb Louis Pouzin (well):
> Hi all,

> NetMundial was a similar scenario. The high level committee members
> never got any contact from the brazilian chair. ICANN had already taken
> over.

Someone asked me to comment on this since I also was a member of the
High Level Committee. So, I comment. According to my memory (and email
archive) what Louis says is not true.

The Executive Committee sent a draft for the HLMC to comment on. Some
HLMC members commented, others didn't but complained instead about the
lack of process. There was a lack of process, true, but this does not
mean that ICANN had taken over. On the contrary, there was plenty of
opportunity for us to influence and shape both the process and the draft
documents.

Lack of process is not always a bad thing. In the case of NM it provided
significant opportunities for CS to assume responsibility and contribute
to the draft documents. Adam but also Marilia were among the people who
contributed a lot to the drafts. The 'ICANN dominates the world' kind of
narrative does not do justice to the efforts of CS people in this process.

jeanette