[bestbits] [] Re: NMI and the Brazilian CGI.br

Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global Journal jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net
Sun Nov 23 06:50:33 EST 2014

Thanks Avri,

No confusion on my end, I guarantee you. Let's not be too naive and not forget that any non profit has many options to "use" excess income.

- allocate excess revenue to reserve
- grant high salaries and bonus (any excess on that when looking on WEF or ICANN?)
- support friends and allies through stipends, grants, fellowship, awards, board fees, grandiose events, meetings with full amenities...
- invest in for profit directly or indirectly
- invest in other friendly non profit.
etc, etc...

That leaves a lot of room for doing whatever a non profit wants to do with excess income. In someway, it is much more exciting that simply having to give it to shareholders, after tax payment (many still don't like the idea of tax, right?).
Transparency and accountability of WEF is not very relevant to citizen of the world, when we might consider it a bit differently when thinking of an entity such as the ICANN that makes its income, including its excess ones, from any one getting a domain name on this planet.

Then,
Think of PIR providing funds to ISOC, or ISOC covering cost for IETF. These financial links are of importance.
Think of ICANN not funding the IGF when it would be fully compliant with its general mission and statement, and when it should.

Let's hope someone at the WEF will read this exchange, and take your honorable idea of supporting (for no expected return) forms of IG building and enabling "tech" (?) the world over. (what did you mean here?)

So far, ICANN has not really given a good example of how to best support independent CS forum (with the diversity of its views) to try to better build simple transnational Internet Public Policies (even though ITU is de facto doing part of the job for years now at a very slow pace)

JC