[bestbits] [governance] Whether to participate in NETmundial Initiative - RFC

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Nov 20 19:29:32 EST 2014

> >>     A WEF-ICANN alliance, even if
> >>     backed by the Brazilian government, is just not the place I want to
> >>     see emerge as a new power centre in Internet governance - even less
> >>     so as they have already given themselves some fixed seats.

Please reread my mails of the time. Do you really think a few Civil
Society activists and non-architect engineers from the IETF would
reshape the world alone. There is only one way to lead the world:
power and force. However, you do not want to manage to get it.

Force is a better technology. This means competent, innovative,
experienced work.
Power is that technology to be used. This means political cooperation
or financial support.

As long as you do not want Libre, you do not want Govs and you do not
want WEF, you can keep moaning.

The situation is simple. It has not changed since August 22, 2012
(RFC 6852, IEEE, IAB, IETF, ISOC, W3C declaration). Either we stay
with the old non-secure IETF technology that ICANN, Rosettanet, BRICS
and WEF can do with. Or we rebuild a "secure internet" as partly
demanded by IAB through a Libre/Civil Society coalition - not
necessarily under the NSA/USCC.

Our interest is NOT to dispute political ideas, not to arbitrate
between ICANN/WEF and ISOC/IETF. Our interest is to intelligently
look at our own IUsers interests. i.e. for a fail-safe plan four our net

jfc