[bestbits] [governance] Whether to participate in NETmundial Initiative - RFC

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Thu Nov 20 14:14:12 EST 2014

On 20/11/2014 11:08 am, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:56:43 -0200
> Carlos Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:
>
>>  > Carlos, can you share information about plans to reopen the text
>>  > for discussion?
>>
>> With pleasure: it is called NETmundial Initiative.
> Is it somehow / somewhere officially stated that the NMI plan includes
> reopening the São Paulo text for discussion?
>
> If so, I'd appreciate a pointer, as I would have in that case missed
> something of importance (even though I have been trying to observe this
> closely.)

This was a question that I've asked during both of the consultations,
and got an equivocal answer suggesting that while it wasn't ruled out
that there could be more work on text development, this was not foremost
in peoples' minds.

Personally I would much rather that the IGF developed the capacity to
produce textual recommendations, and that the NETmundial Initiative
stuck to simply implementation of principles agreed elsewhere.  And
adopted a different name so as not to mislead people that it was a
continuation of the NETmundial meeting with the legitimacy to develop
principles.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst