[bestbits] [governance] Whether to participate in NETmundial Initiative - RFC

Anja Kovacs anja at internetdemocracy.in
Wed Nov 19 14:59:24 EST 2014

Dear all,

A question. If any of the Brazilians on these lists could perhaps shed some
light on why their government has decided to support this initiative, and
how they see it, that could possibly be very helpful? I have had great
respect for Brazil and its work in the past, and can't help but wonder
whether I'm missing something here.

For the moment, however, knowing what I know, I am still not in favour of
civil society networks giving this their stamp of approval (though as
earlier, I also don't have an issue with individual organisations who want
to participate to continue doing so and report back to the wider
community). A WEF-ICANN alliance, even if backed by the Brazilian
government, is just not the place I want to see emerge as a new power
centre in Internet governance - even less so as they have already given
themselves some fixed seats.

I've in particular been wondering what this selection and committee means
seeing that some of the initiatives the NMI would "foster" clearly are
already on the way. For example, I (and I know many others on this list
too) have already been contacted by the Governance Lab at NYU to give
feedback on a proposed NETmundial Solutions map that would be developed
under the flag of the NMI. It's difficult not to feel like the only thing
we and others would be doing is simply to rubberstamp things that would
happen anyway - but because we okay them, somehow the structure and the
initiatives it gives birth to gain a legitimacy that they would not have
had without. An unwise use of our power, I would say (that they would go
ahead without us anyway is something that a representative from the WEF
made clear enough to me in an informal conversation in October. Some of the
individual initiative, such as that map, might have value, but about the
structure as a whole, I am not so certain)

I would feel far more comfortable if we would instead start exploring the
constructive ways of going ahead with our own work suggested by Amelia and
others. I would love to hear more about what they're thinking, and how we
could operationalize this ourselves and take it forward.

Thanks and best,
Anja

Dr. Anja Kovacs
The Internet Democracy Project