[bestbits] [governance] Re: FW: [discuss] JNC statement on WEF's Net Mundial Initiative

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Nov 18 08:04:06 EST 2014

Jeremy Malcolm (the representative of Best Bits in CSCG) wrote:

> Via Norbert I have requested that JNC issue a public apology for
> wrongly stating in this article, along with much other dumping on
> civil society colleagues, that Best Bits is supporting the NETmundial
> Initiative.

Before I reply to the substance of this accusation of lying, let me
quickly comment on why these facts (about which JNC is being accused of
having told a lie) have some importance: In view of the phenomenon
which were calling “the caravan for a neo-liberal capture of global
governance”, it would in our view be a huge step forward if the support
for that could be reduced to those who are willing to publicly admit
and defend their support for it. From this perspective, it is a very
serious and significant systemic problem in civil society when actions
are taken which are in their effect supportive of this “caravan”, but
where those who take or explicitly support such action get away with
simply disclaiming responsibility, or even claiming that it didn't
happen. (By contrast it is a legitimate course of action for any of the
concerned parties to admit to having made a mistake, and to consequently
change their stance.)

Now to the substance of what we're accused of having been untruthful
about...

The footnote which is referenced in this demand for an apology (and
which is the only place where any mention of Best Bits is made) reads in
full as follows:

  For example, on the basis of positive views expressed by APC,
  BestBits, Diplo and NCSG, the chair of the Civil Society Coordination
  Group (CSCG) has sent a very positive letter to NMI offering to
  organize a selection process for civil society representatives for
  NMI's coordination committee. Until now, only the Just Net Coalition
  (JNC) has opposed this plan, and JNC will refuse to participate if it
  goes forward. The other member organizations of CSCG are: Association
  for Progressive Communications (APC), Best Bits, Civicus, Diplo
  Foundation, Internet Governance Caucus (IGC), Non-Commercial
  Stakeholders Group (NCSG).

For context, this footnote is given in support of the assertion that
some “sections of civil society currently active in the area of Internet
... have accepted the invitation from global corporate and other
elites to participate in the NetMundial Initiative”.

I maintain that the concerned letter

* is indeed very positive, and that

* it offers to organize a selection process for civil society
  representatives for NMI's coordination committee, and that

* it in fact represents acceptance in principle of the fundamental
  concept of NMI and the invitation to participate.

This is certainly how we in JNC read the letter, and it appears that
also ICANN CEO Fadi Chehadé (one of the recipients) is understanding
the letter similarly, as Avri tweeted yesterday: “Fadi, praised the
letter from civil society asking to select is own members of the #NMI
council and legitimizing the initiative. #igeneva”

But it is probably necessary at this point for everyone here to be
given the opportunity to be able to make up their minds for themselves
on whether, as JNC claims, this letter expresses acceptance in
principle of NMI.

After all, JNC has in effect been accused of lying. The only way to
effectively counteract such an accusation is to present evidence that
what we're saying is in fact the truth about these events.

JNC will of course be very happy if (as we're in fact suggesting in the
statement) now enough CSCG members change their position so that on the
basis of that the CSCG position changes, and a corresponding letter is
sent which contradicts the initial quite positive stance. We would
certainly acknowledge such a welcome development in an updated version
of the statement.

So here is the text of the concerned letter from CSCG's chair to NMI:

"""
    Dear Virgilio, Fadi and Richard,

    RE: NETMUNDIAL INITIATIVE COORDINATION COUNCIL

    I am writing to you on behalf of the Internet Governance Civil
    Society Coordination Group (CSCG), in response to your call for
    nominations for a Coordination Council for the new NetMundial
    Initiative.

    I think you all know something of our organisation. We are a
    “coalition of coalitions” of the major civil society groups working
    on internet governance issues, formed specifically to ensure a
    co-ordinated civil society response and conduit when it comes to
    making civil society appointments to outside bodies.

    Our reach through the represented member coalitions (Internet
    Governance Caucus, Association for Progressive Communications,
    Diplo Foundation, Just Net Coalition, Best Bits, Civicus, and Non
    Commercial Stakeholders Group of ICANN) extends to some thousands
    of organisations. We provided the nominations for civil society
    members appointed to various committees for the original NetMundial
    initiative in Brazil and the 1net initiative, as well as
    nominations for the recent IGF Multistakeholder Advisory Group
    renewal.

    A number of us listened in and participated on your webinar last
    week. We are very pleased to see an effort underway to
    collaboratively deal with some of the evolving issues in the
    internet governance arena; and also pleased to see your strong
    commitment to the NetMundial principles, and to a bottom up process
    in bringing this into action.

    We have noted carefully the procedures outlined on your website for
    nominations, and the commitment to one civil society representative
    for each of the five regions outlined. You are aware of our
    concerns, which I am sure you share, that the selection processes
    be credible, involve stakeholder groups, and, as your nomination
    process states, “formed through a bottom-up process, inspired by
    the open and transparent approach employed by the organizers of the
    São Paulo NETmundial meeting”.

    We believe this can best be achieved if we work closely with you to
    ensure that the civil society representation, and involvement in
    selection of its representatives, is as strong, credible and
    effective as possible, and make the following suggestions with this
    end in mind.

    SUGGESTION ONE

    Although we could go through a separate nomination process and
    forward a number of names to you, it seems to us that in the
    current situation a more workable process would be to encourage
    suitable civil society people to nominate as per your process, but
    then work with you at the close of nominations to provide our
    recommendations on the most suitable candidates. Depending on
    circumstances, we could give you one recommended name per region,
    or we could give a maximum of say three suitable names per region,
    to enable you to consider intra-regional balance across stakeholder
    groups.

    We would like your feedback on this option. If we were to follow
    this process, we would need to receive from you full details of
    each nomination received for civil society. We could undertake to
    give completed recommendations within a week of the closing date;
    ie by December 13. We employ well developed processes for achieving
    such an outcome in a credible manner and can assure you than
    necessary confidentiality in dealing with these documents would be
    maintained.

    SUGGESTION TWO

    Additionally, we could have a representative work with you  (the
    transitional committee members) on finalising selections, and
    writing up the rationale for decisions. We appreciate that if one
    of us takes up such a role, the deliberations would be subject to
    complete confidentiality, and this would be a facilitating role to
    ensure the best possible selections. We would welcome your feedback
    on this additional option as well.

    TIME CONSTRAINTS

    If we are to proceed with one or both of these options, we would
    need to have your confirmation as to our participation in this
    manner fairly quickly, so that we can inform our colleagues. Please
    if possible get back to us this week, or advise when you will be
    able to respond.

    We look forward to working with you and to a highly successful
    collaborative initiative to address some important issues of mutual
    concern. We would like to see a strong, widely endorsed, and
    effective civil society presence in developing this initiative, and
    look forward to working with you to achieve this.

    Sincerely,

    Ian Peter
    Independent Chair
"""