[bestbits] LAST REMINDER! Applications close May 31 - Best Bits steering committee election

Deborah Brown deborah at accessnow.org
Sat May 31 08:34:04 EDT 2014

Dear Valeria, all,

Thank you for nominating me for the Best Bits steering committee. It is my
pleasure to accept the nomination, and please see below information
relating to my candidacy.

Bio:

Deborah has served on the Best Bits interim steering committee and has
worked as a Senior Policy Analyst for Access, where she has focused on the
intersection of internet governance policy and human rights. Specifically,
she has led Access’ engagement in the WSIS review process, the multiple
ITU processes, the IGF, NetMundial, and the Human Rights Council. Starting
in June 2014, Deborah will join the Association for Progressive
Communications (APC) as a Senior Project Coordinator focusing on national
internet rights advocacy in Asian, internet governance,
and supporting APC's work in MENA and Africa. Previously, she
has worked with the United Nations Foundation, the National Democratic
Institute, and the International Foundation for Electoral Systems She
holds degrees from Georgetown University and Barnard College, Columbia
University.

Your vision for Best Bits. What do you think you can contribute on the
steering committee?

I view Best Bits as a broad-based network to facilitate knowledge-sharing
and joint action on internet governance and human rights. It is important
to me that Best Bits brings in diverse views, new voices, and is inclusive
so as to dissolve North-South divides. While I believe one of Best Bits
strengths is that it brings together a diversity of views, backgrounds,
experience, I would like to the network working towards improved internet
governance processes that are more transparent inclusive, diverse,
accountable democratic, and are guided by human rights and the public
interest If chosen to serve on the steering committee, I would aim to
further the vision described above, while also listening to all views and
trying to bridge divides.

That you can commit time of up to several hours per week to devote to Best
Bits.  This may include facilitating the broader community of participants
to organise meetings, draft joint statements or interventions, improve
website resources, mediate disputes, etc.  Where do you think your
strengths lie?

I am committed to dedicating the necessary time to serve on the Best Bits
steering committee. I feel that my strengths lie in coordinating and
drafting joint statements, interventions, and helping to organize meetings
for the broader community.

All the best,

Deborah

Deborah Brown