[bestbits] [Ask for Help] survey on the collection and use of national ID number

Byoung-il Oh antiropy at gmail.com
Tue May 20 22:23:00 EDT 2014

Hi,

I'm Byoungil Oh from Korean Progressive Network Jinbonet. I'm leading
following research program on national ID number.

As a part of research, We're carrying out the survey on the collection and
use of nationa ID number in various sectors of each countries.
It's a little bit long, but I do hope your cooperation to take a time to
answer the questions.
I'll share the rusult of this survey which, I believe, could be also very
helpful for your work.

*After completing the survey, please reply to antiropy at gmail.com
<antiropy at gmail.com> until 15, June. *
Your feedback on the survey more then welcome.

Thank you

Byoungil Oh

p.s I attached the questionaire in odf file.

-----

Collection and use of national ID number:

----  a survey conducted by Korean civil society organizations (Citizens'
Action Network, Citizens' Coalition for Economic Justice, Consumers Korea,
Korean Progressive Network Jinbonet, Open Net Korea)

Well before the advent of the Internet, many countries have had a system of
national identification number to identify their nationals or residents for
a variety of purposes such as taxation, social welfare services, issuance
of passports or policing. In the age of the Internet and digitization of
information, e-government system often makes use of the national ID number
to 'link' many different databases holding information about one's dealings
with various public sector services. While this is a practice designed to
increase the efficiency of e-government services, it may pose a serious
threat to privacy and it can easily be abused to facilitate surveillance.

If, moreover, the national ID number is used not only for e-government
services but also for private sector services such as financial services,
then the risk of abuse becomes even more serious. As more and more services
make use of the national ID number, the risk of data breach involving
national ID number would increase and the consequence of breach can be
devastating. South Korea is an example where national ID number has been
collected and widely used not only by government departments but also by
private sector service providers. National ID number is, as it were, a
"key" to have access to all sorts of services -- public or private. An
individual (data subject) does not have a clear idea about how much of the
information regarding him/her can be inter-linked through the national ID
number. The risk of unlawful surveillance and misuse of national ID number
is high.

We, Korean civil society organization have argued that the risk of using
national ID number in online as well as offline services needs to be
carefully re-assessed. We believe that collection and use of the national
ID number should be limited to very narrowly defined public services only.
Public bodies and private entities should consider the risk of relying on a
single personal ID number, which will inevitably have the consequence of
accumulating personal data to an unacceptable level and increasing the risk
of data breach. As far as possible, common and universal personal ID
system, such as national ID, should be avoided.

We conduct the present survey in order to have an accurate picture of the
extent to which national ID number is used in various sectors in different
countries. We hope that our research can provide useful information for
policy makers in many countries when they tackle the questions relating to
identity management of their citizens.

We should be grateful if you could take the time to answer the following
questions. Should you have any further inquiries regarding this survey,
please contact antiropy at gmail.com (Mr Byoungil Oh) or master at opennet.or.kr.

0. Something about you...

Your name:

Your email address:

Affiliation:

Where do you live (name of the country) :

I. National ID Number

In this survey, "national ID number" means one or more systems where the
government assigns a unique identification number (consisting of digits,
letters or combination of any characters) to citizens and residents
(including foreign residents) of the country.

1-1. What is the name of your national ID number? (If your country has more
than one ID systems, please list the one which is most widely used. The
next few questions are also about the most widely used national ID system
in your country.)

1-2. Is your national ID number mandatory or optional?

          (  ) Mandatory. Everyone is assigned a unique ID. No need to
apply for one.

          (  ) Optional. You need to apply to have the ID assigned to you.

1-3. When is the ID number assigned? (at birth, at a certain age, etc.)

1-4. Is it possible to change your ID number? If yes, under what
circumstances can you apply to have a new ID number assigned to you?

1-5. If your government issues a national ID card (different from the
passport), what kinds of information does the national ID card contain? If
your government does not issue a national ID card (apart from passport),
you may skip this question.

   -

   name
   -

   address
   -

   date of birth
   -

   gender (male, female)
   -

   physical characteristics (eye color, height, etc.)
   -

   photo
   -

   finger prints
   -

   Other:

1-6. Does your country regulate the collection and use of national ID
number? For example, can anyone collect and use your national ID for the
purpose of offering a service? Or is there a restriction as to who can
collect and use your national ID?

1-7. When your ID card is issued, how is your identity verified?

II. National ID in public sector services

Passport

2-1. When you apply to have a passport issued to you, how is your identity
verified? Do you need to have a national ID card or other ID card(s) before
you apply to have a passport issued to you?

2-2. Does the issuer of passport collect your national ID number or other
ID card(s) details?

Driving licence

2-3. When you apply to have a driving licence issued to you, how does the
authority verify your identity? Do you need to have a national ID card or
other ID card(s) before you apply for driving licence?

2-4. Does the issuer of driving licence collect your national ID number or
other ID card(s) details?

E-government services

2-5. In order to have access to certain e-government services which require
user identity verification, how is your identity verified?

Taxation

2-6. For taxation purposes, which ID is used to identify you? (for example,
taxpayer number, National Insurance number, etc.)

2-7. If your ID for taxation is different from your national ID, is your
national ID number 'linked' to your taxpayer number?

2-8. Does your employer collect your taxpayer number, national ID number or
social security number or other ID number in connection with tax accounting?

Welfare services

2-9. In order to have access to welfare services (such as housing,
childcare, income support, etc.), which ID is used to identify you? (for
example, an ID which is specifically issued for welfare services, such as
Social security number, National Insurance number, or national ID number
etc)

2-10. In your country, is national ID number linked to any number for
welfare services?

Health service

2-11. Which ID is used to identify you when you go to a hospital? (for
example, health insurance number, etc)

2-12. In your country, is national ID number linked to health insurance
number?

2-13. Is health service provider or health insurance authority allowed
access to your taxation records or other database showing your income level?

III.  National ID in non-governmental services

Education

3-1. Do schools (other than universities) verify identity of students when
they enrol with the school? How is it done?

3-2. Do schools demand and collect student's or parent's national ID
number, passport number, etc.?

3-3. When schools issue student ID card, how do they ascertain or verify
student's identity?

Financial services

3-4. When you open a bank account or apply for a credit card, how do banks
or credit card companies verify your identity?

3-5. Do banks and credit card companies collect customers' national ID
number or passport number?

Mobile communication services

3-6. Are you required to identify yourself in order to have a mobile phone?

   -

   Yes, regardless of whether it is a pre-paid (pay as you go) service or
   monthly contract.
   -

   It depends. No need to identify yourself for pre-paid service.

3-7. Do mobile carriers collect your national ID number or any other ID
numbers such as passport number, social security number, etc.?

3-8. For monthly contracts, how do mobile carriers verify your identity?

Online services

3-9. Are private sector service providers permitted to collect user's
national ID number, passport number, social security number, taxpayer
number, etc.?

Adult verification

3-10. For adult oriented online content, how do site operators verify
user's age?

IV. General observations

4-1. How do you evaluate your country's situation regarding the use of
national ID number in the context of online services?

4-2. What are your recommendations to strike a balance between safety and
efficiency of online ID systems?

Thank you!

We are grateful to you for taking the time to respond. If you have any
further comments or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact us at
antiropy at gmail.com (Mr Byoungil Oh) or master at opennet.or.kr

Do you wish to remain anonymous?

   -

   Please do not disclose my identity and do not quote my answer in an
   attributable manner.
   -

   I do not mind if my answers are quoted in an attributable manner.

--
<http://www.jinbo.net/support/>