[bestbits] should BB submit coordinated comments? - Enhancing ICANN Accountability

Niels ten Oever niels at article19.org
Mon May 12 10:21:34 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I am working on this with others within the framework of the ICANN
Non-Commercial User Constituency (NCUC), I would like to invite people
to contribute to this but I am also happy to explore how we can
collaborate more broadly on this.

Best,

Niels

Niels ten Oever
Acting Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint = 8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4 678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9

On 05/09/2014 05:58 PM, Carolina Rossini wrote:

> Enhancing ICANN Accountability
>
> <http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/enhancing-accountability-06may14-en.htm#>4

<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/enhancing-accountability-06may14-en.htm#>
> Comment / Reply Periods (*) Comment Open Date: 6 May 2014 Comment
> Close Date: 27 May 2014 - 23:59 UTC Reply Open Date: 28 May 2014
> Reply Close Date: 18 June 2014 - 23:59 UTC
>
> Important Information Links Public Comment Announcement
> <http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-06may14-en.htm>

To Submit Your Comments (Forum)
> [...]
> This discussion will look at how ICANN remains accountable in the
> absence of its historical contractual relationship to the U.S.
> Government and the perceived backstop with regard to ICANN's
> organization-wide accountability provided by that role. While
> related to the ongoing discussions around the IANA Stewardship
> Transition, this is a separate process, though the output of this
> process is expected to be completed on the same timeframe as the
> stewardship transition work.
>
> Current Status:
>
> ICANN is initiating the community discussion on enhancement of
> ICANN's accountability through the posting of a background document
> and questions for input.
>
> Next Steps:
>
> The responses received will be compiled and analyzed. Prior to
> ICANN's June 2014 Public Meeting in London, ICANN's Supporting
> Organizations and Advisory Committees will be requested to start
> identifying Working Group participants, so that the work can start
> in earnest at ICANN 50 after community input is received.
>
> Staff Contact: Theresa Swinehart, Senior Advisor to the President
> on Strategy Email Staff Contact
> <mailto:theresa.swinehart at icann.org?subject=More%20information%20on%20the%20Enhancing%20ICANN%20Accountability%20public%20comment%20period>
>
>  Detailed Information Section I: Description, Explanation, and
> Purpose:
>
> On March 14, 2014, the US National Telecommunications and
> Information Administration (NTIA) announced its intent to
> transition its stewardship over key Internet domain name functions
> to the global multistakeholder community. NTIA asked ICANN, as the
> IANA functions contractor and the global coordinator for the DNS,
> to convene a multistakeholder process to develop a proposal for the
> transition.
>
> During discussions around the IANA stewardship transition, the
> community has also raised the broader topic of the impact of the
> transition on ICANN accountability. While the community develops a
> proposal for the transition of NTIA's stewardship role, it is
> important that the community also address the separate – but
> interdependent and interrelated – issue of ICANN's accountability.
> As a result, ICANN is launching a separate process, the scope of
> which is to look at ICANN remaining accountable in the absence of
> its historical contractual relationship to the U.S. Government and
> the perceived backstop with regard toICANN's organization-wide
> accountability provided by that role, such as the renewal process
> of the IANAFunctions Contract. This second process will examine
> from an organizational perspective how ICANN's broader
> accountability mechanisms should be strengthened to address the
> absence of its historical contractual relationship to the U.S.
> Government. This includes looking at strengthening existing
> accountability mechanisms like the Affirmation of Commitments

This process is additive, not a duplication of any of the reviews called