[bestbits] International Internet users join the campaign against proposed Internet Slow Lane plan from the FCC

Steve Anderson steve at openmedia.ca
Tue May 13 15:12:26 EDT 2014

For those interesting in the Net Neutrality (Open Internet) battle in the
US -- OpenMedia.org just launched an international campaign on the issue
here: https://openmedia.org/slowlane

The crucial meeting takes place in less than 48hrs so if you can help
spread the word that would be great.

If your group would like to endorse the campaign or otherwise help out let
me know. I have also attached banners/images that can be added to websites
-- just link them to the above link.

You can find our press release below.

For Immediate Release

International Internet users join the campaign against proposed Internet
Slow Lane plan from the FCC

Crucial U.S. FCC meeting on Thursday could mean many of our favorite
websites and online services slow to a crawl

May 13, 2014 – Internet users around the world are speaking out to prevent
drastic new proposals that could see many favourite websites slow to a
crawl. Leading Canadian Internet freedom group OpenMedia.org has teamed up
with The Nation magazine and other groups to launch an international online
campaign <https://openmedia.org/SlowLane> aimed at stopping the plan.

Key decision-makers at the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
meet Thursday to discuss a proposal from FCC Chair Tom Wheeler that would
force every service that can’t pay new “prioritization” fees into a slow
lane. The proposed new rules would come into effect in the U.S., but their
effects would soon be felt worldwide, crippling many favorite websites and
online services, while making it more expensive for people to use the
Internet.

“We have just 48 hours to stop this reckless and irresponsible plan that
would make our Internet slower, more expensive, and more like cable TV,”
said OpenMedia Executive Director Steve Anderson. “Internet users from
around the world are speaking out because we all know this plan amounts to
an Internet Slow Lane for every website and service unwilling to pay
extortionate new fees to telecom giants. Big Telecom’s army of lobbyists
have been pushing for these new gatekeeper powers for years - they want to
take power away from Internet users by forcing us to watch the content they
own, slowing everything else to a standstill.”

Anderson continued: “These proposals will harm Internet users not just in
the U.S. but right across the planet - pretty much everyone who uses a
U.S.-based online service will be affected. The FCC needs to listen to
citizens instead of telecom lobbyists. Instead of signing a death warrant
for the free and open Internet they need to implement new safeguards to
guarantee equal access for all online content.”

The FCC meeting takes place on Thursday May 15.  Defenders of the open
Internet are already camping in growing numbers outside the FCC
building<http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2014/05/net-neutrality-activists-set-up-protest-camp-outside-fcc-headquarters.html>,
and won’t leave until the plan is revoked.

   -

   Here are photos of the encampment outside the
FCC<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23OccupyTheFCC&src=hash&mode=photos>
   .
   -

   Here’s a video of protesters outside the
FCC.<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCG7_ICn7io>

Thousands of people are signing on in support of the campaign to Say No to
the Internet Slow Lane at:
https://OpenMedia.org/SlowLane<https://openmedia.org/SlowLane>

About OpenMedia.org

OpenMedia.org is an award-winning
<http://openmedia.ca/awards>community-based organization that
safeguards the possibilities of the open
Internet. We work toward informed and participatory digital policy by
engaging hundreds of thousands of people in protecting our online rights.

Through campaigns such as StopTheMeter.ca <http://stopthemeter.ca> and
StopSpying.ca <http://stopspying.ca>, OpenMedia.org has engaged over
half-a-million citizens, and has influenced public policy and federal law.

-30-

Contact

David Christopher

Communications Manager, OpenMedia

1-778-232-1858

david at openmedia.ca

More Information

   -

   Net Neutrality, Monopoly, and the Death of the Democratic Internet.
   Source: Motherboard<http://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/read/net-neutrality-monopoly-and-the-death-of-the-democratic-internet?trk_source=homepage-lede?utm_source=motherboardfb>
   -

   FCC's new net neutrality rules opposed by 100+ internet companies
   (update: vote still on schedule). Source:
Engadget<http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/07/fcc-net-neutrality-rules-under-fire/>
   .
   -

   Internet traffic from around the globe passes through U.S. servers,
   peering, and content delivery networks. As a result, it’s likely that web
   traffic from outside the U.S. could get caught in the slow lane. Source:
   Motherboard<http://motherboard.vice.com/en_ca/blog/canada-wont-escape-the-fccs-gutting-of-net-neutrality>
   .
   -

   Protesters set up camp at net neutrality rally outside FCC headquarters.
   Source: The Guardian<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/07/net-neutrality-protest-fcc-save-the-internet>
   .
   -

   OpenMedia fought for and won Canadian Open Internet rules that should
   prevent Big Telecom discriminating against competing services. We even flew
   in some of the original architects of the
Internet<https://www.openmedia.ca/blog/saveournetca-crtc-hearing-report-back-trifecta>to
the CRTC hearing.
   -

   CRTC report shows Internet openness complaints went up in 2012 - see
   this media advisory<https://openmedia.ca/news/media-advisory-crtc-report-shows-internet-openness-complaints-went-2012-openmediaca-available-commen>
   .
   -

   OpenMedia.ca’s crowdsourced Casting an Open Net
Plan<https://openmedia.ca/plan>calls for net neutrality audits and
penalties for companies in breach of
   net neutrality.
   -

   CRTC will rescind ‘unlimited use’ Internet decision – or Ottawa will
   overturn it. Source: The Globe and
Mail<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/tech-news/crtc-will-rescind-unlimited-use-internet-decision---or-ottawa-will-overturn-it/article565223/>
   -

   OpenMedia.ca<https://openmedia.ca/news/regulators-pull-back-usage-based-billing-after-half-million-canadians-speak-out>:
   Regulators pull back from usage-based billing after half-a-million
   Canadians speak out
   -

   "If using the Rogers 3G or LTE network, for only $5/month, customers can
   enjoy 10 hours of viewing on their device" (This means non-Rogers content
   is unfairly more expensive than Rogers-owned content.) Source: Google
   Play<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quickplay.rodo&hl=en>

--
*Steve Anderson*
Executive Director, OpenMedia.ca
steve at openmedia.ca

Follow me on Twitter <http://twitter.com/Steve_Media>
Friend me on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/Steve.Media>

* *Let's have access to affordable phone and Internet rates.
<http://demandchoice.ca>*

**Do you think we deserve a fair deal in our digital future? -->>
OurFairDeal.org <http://OurFairDeal.org>*

*Confidentiality Warning:*

* This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the
intended recipient(s), are confidential, and may be privileged. If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review,
retransmission, conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or other use
of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail, and delete this message and any attachments from your system. Thank
you. Information confidentielle:** Le présent message, ainsi que tout
fichier qui y est joint, est envoyé à l'intention exclusive de son ou de
ses destinataires; il est de nature confidentielle et peut constituer une
information privilégiée. Nous avertissons toute personne autre que le
destinataire prévu que tout examen, réacheminement, impression, copie,
distribution ou autre utilisation de ce message et de tout fichier qui y
est joint est strictement interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire
prévu, veuillez en aviser immédiatement l'expéditeur par retour de courriel
et supprimer ce message et tout document joint de votre système. Merci.*