[bestbits] Re: AW: [governance] Input on IGF 2014 format and main sessions

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Tue Mar 18 07:24:59 EDT 2014

Dear Adam and Wolfgang (and those who responded offlist)

First, clarification.

'Focus' session is just another term of saying 'main session'. It means
a session in a big room that focuses on one of the IGF's subthemes or
something like 'taking stock'.

The idea of flash sessions is already on the table. Actually the MAG is
talking about the IGF including different and newer formats. Veronica
Cretu has done quite a lot of work on this.  Translating it into
practice is not always so easy, but we are trying.

Some people who were at RightsCon which took place recently also wrote
to me saying they would like the IGF to learn from other large events
when it comes to formats.

And someone else wrote saying we should - as the MAG - be prescriptive
with formats and just let session organisers decide what format they
want to use.

I will share feedback on the overarching theme - which Adam said was
vague, and someone else wrote to me to say it sounded like we were going
to focus on intercontinental submarine cables :)

Do remember that the IGF main theme is generally the outcome of
consensus among MAG members and is usually vague.

One proposal I am thinking of is to have an opening session where we
have a panel that does very brief scene setting on the sub theme of this
year's IGF. This could be 3 hour main session on the first day.  The
panel would give 10 minute inputs on the sub themes followed by
discussion and questions.  Workshop/session organisers can talk about
what they are dealing with in their events related to these  themes.

      * Policies enabling Access
      * Content Creation, Dissemination and Use
      * Internet as engine for growth & development
      * IGF & The Future of the Internet ecosystem
      * Enhancing Digital Trust
      * Internet and Human Rights
      * Critical Internet Resources

I am leaving out emerging issues as it has a different role.

On the last day we can have round tables for each of these subthemes
that gather together workshop/session organisers as well as dynamic
coalitions. These round tables should be tasked with identifying what
intersessional work is needed, and by whom and in which space, to take
discussions at the IGF forward.

To build on Adam's proposal we should have a main session on Net Mundial
outcomes.  We might even want to have two separate main sessions,
depending on what happens at the NetMundial. I like Wolfgang's idea that
we should keep things open at this point, and see what happens later on
in the year before we finalise what main or focus sessions to organised
- or MAG organised sessions as we refer to them to distinguish from all
the community organised sessions like workshops. At least until the May
MAG meeting as by then we will have a clearer idea of what the IGF can
most usefully focus on.

I also like the idea of having flash session topics be finalised later.
This would be possible I think.

Anriette