[bestbits] Three NETmundial submissions launched for endorsement at bestbits.net

Nigel Hickson nigel.hickson at icann.org
Wed Mar 5 16:54:24 EST 2014

Parminder

Good evening; when you say the "global community" in the UN; are you
thinking beyond governments; it is just I recall that when in the UNGA I
only recalled governmentsŠ..

Best

Nigel

From:  parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>
Date:  Wednesday, March 5, 2014 12:21 PM
To:  "bestbits at lists.bestbits.net" <bestbits at lists.bestbits.net>,
"governance at lists.igcaucus.org" <governance at lists.igcaucus.org>
Subject:  Re: [bestbits] Three NETmundial submissions launched for
endorsement at bestbits.net

 Hi Jeremy

 For quite some time now, my analysis/prediction about the efforts of ICANN
plus (and whoever backs them) vis vis the NetMundial has been as follows;

 1. the main aim was to stop Brazil from the path Its President's speech at
the UN looked to be paving - that of engaging the global community in UN
spaces for the needed global Internet governance mechanisms.... That aim has
been achieved, at least for the time being...

 2. To make an alluring offer to Brazil to get them off the track mentioned
above, which was in terms of some vague promises about some real steps
forward in terms of internationalisation of ICANN... However as NetMundial
approaches, we hear less and less of anything concrete in this regard.
Anyway, since the show was being arranged, it was found useful if some good
text could be got into the NetMundial outcome docs on 'multistakeholder
decision making' including, and specifically, on global public policy
issues. This latter is the primary objective at this point. And the
mentioned parties have been going about in a completely unabashed manner -
helped considerably by some unexplained high degree of bashfulness of the
involved civil society. We saw 1 Net being formed from nowhere (sorry, now
we know, from an ICANN board decision), it taking over the meeting's
co-ownership, various shenanigans around selection of its steering committee
(which in any case is constantly bypassed, and never seems to converse with
the respective constituencies), imposition of a person with highly
questionable standing and reputation as civil society leader of the meeting
(about which Ian again recommends further bashful for civil society) , and
now a sudden survey which will formulate the 1Net aka 'global internet
community' view on Internet principles for submission to the netMundial.....
and so on.... Believe me, you havent seen nothing yet. Wait for the days
close to the meeting....

 And of course, the proposed view to be submitted on 1Net's behalf has this
all important principle, " Decisions made with respect to Internet
governance should only be made by bodies that allow free and equitable
access to all stakeholders at all points in the decision-making process."
Well of course. Two hoots to democracy!

 Now I shall come to the point, of my comments on the proposed submission to
NetMundial submitted by Jeremy.

 I of course support and commend both APC Principles and IRP Principles  -
which seem the main burden of the submission.... BUT...

 Can someone explain me the meaning of "equitable multistakeholder
participation" and whether it is different from what is meant in the above
statement from 1Net's survey. If so, how.... More precisely, are you seeking
that all stakeholders, including business reps, have equal part and role (as
gov reps) in making decisions about public policies. Please address this
point specifically.

 I hope those proposing this statement will explain this point. I think it
is their responsibility to do so, instead of slipping in such concepts, what
would in default be, somewhat surreptitiously, which many potential signees
are apt to miss..

 Thanks

 parminder