[bestbits] Re: [governance] IGC press release in response to the NTIA announcement of March 14

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Tue Mar 18 03:37:19 EDT 2014

Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn at gmail.com> [2014-03-16 13:37:31]:
> Hello
>
>> IGC supports the multistakeholder policymaking model to the extent that it
>> does not contradict the ideals of democracy, including due consideration to
>> the rights of minorities (in the context of Internet policy)
>

> "to the extent that Mutli-stakeholder model contradict the ideals of
> democracy"?  Multi-stakeholder model is expanded democracy, the next step
> in the further evolution of democracy. Is there room for this model to
> contradict the ideals of democracy???

Yes. A consensus model without a rights framework that safeguards
minorities can be harmful to minorities.

> "consideration of rights of minorities" - If this is a Global process, open
> for participation from all stake-holders, from every nation, the policies
> that would emerge out of the process is bound to be balanced. The intention
> behind this thought about the "rights" of minorities might be noble, but as
> unintended consequences, this idea of special attention could
> lead to politicization of the process.

You mean to say that Internet governance can be devoid of politics?  I
don't see how that is either possible nor why that would be desirable.

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society