[bestbits] Re: [governance] need for regulation ....

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Mon Mar 17 04:19:26 EDT 2014

On 15 Mar 2014, at 12:11 am, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> On Monday 10 March 2014 08:48 PM, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
>> I think there is a basic misunderstanding related to the role of
>> private, free, non-mandatory services versus, for example, the required,
>> paid for, connectivity services we need to be on the Internet.
>
> Hi Carlos,
>
> We may differ on issues and principles here, but I assure you that there is no misunderstanding. Our position is based on considerable thinking.
>
> What is entirely left to the private sector, what gets provided as a public or social good, and what gets closely regulated even though provided privately are decisions that societies taken on the basis of many considerations. What was earlier a private good can become a public good as times change.

	Parminder, the use of economic terms with quite specific definitions in an informal way that has no connection to the real definition like this is not helpful. You use here the terms public good and social good as if they are synonyms, and they are not.

> Prior to the industrial revolution, education was considered a rather private good - it was either a matter of some very exclusive privilege of the highest classes, or consisted of skills transferred within occupational groups like guilds. With the industrial revolution, many changes took place in social structures, in structure of family, work force and so on.... Soon later, education begun to see as seen as a kind of public good, and then as  a human right in the UN Declaration of Human Rights...
>
> Sorry for the detour but, similar basic changes are taking place vis a vis the ongoing information/Internet revolution. One important element of this transformation are some new kinds of socio-technical platforms that mediated a huge swathe of social activities, which could span a whole sector - like global knowledge organising, instant media, general social networking, and so on. Such platforms have the character of natural monopolies - a fact that is proven.

	I know of no such proof. I'd be interested to see it. None of the areas you describe seem to be monopolies - there are certainly multiple services for knowledge organising, instant media, social networking etc.
	Power law style concentration among a few major players, yes, but natural monopolies is a different story.

> All this present a very new situation, and accordingly an assessment has to be made in public interest of the need and degree of regulation of such platforms.

	Certainly it is reasonable to assess the need and degree of regulation of a category of services. It is, of course, possible that the result of that consideration may be 'no' or 'not much needed'.
	Though, FWIW, I'm not in that camp - I welcome the increased involvement of regulators in changes to major services that might substantially effect privacy, for example. That is very different from considering them a public good (which I think is just sloppy terminology) or a social good (which would imply public provision of the service).

> Also, whether some of these services also need to be provided as public goods, or at least proactive public support (including with funds)  given for building local and/ or non-profit alternatives.

	Sure. But that is a matter for individual states to provide, not a matter for global regulatory bodies.

> But the least that can certainly be said is that a completely unregulated commercial offering of these platforms, as huge global monopolies, and largely escaping regulation because of their global nature, coupled with extra-ordinary economic (and increasingly, political) might, is not not a sustainable situation. We can accept it now and take remedial measures, or do it after considerable social damage is done.
>
> (In fact, as you say, since these services are free, they do not even constitute a commercial service agreement since no payment is made for them. Whereby we can also say that there can be no consumer rights vis a vis these services. Would you agree to such a proposition? )
>
> All of which simply points to the fact that we are facing very new and unique situation in an increasingly Internet-mediated world. We may have to visit our policy and regulatory paradigms anew, and we should show the political openness to do so.

	Certainly new types of services invite us to consider their public policy implications.

> Now, we may still disagree on which layers of the Internet requirer regulation and which not, but I just wanted to clarify that our position is well thought out and not a result as a mis- understanding.

	You are currently convincing me that your position is couched in the language of economics, but the argument is a poor one economically and  uses those terms too imprecisely or incorrectly to be very coherent.

	I'm also very much convinced that Guru's call for making public all algorithms used is certainly not well thought out, and if it is an example of the application of a broader theory, it does that theory no credit.

	Regards

		David