[bestbits] IGC press release in response to the NTIA announcement of March 14

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Mar 16 06:28:53 EDT 2014

Mawaki

Thanks for this effort.

As often and variously discussed on this list, terms like 'equitable
multistakholder policy development model' are very problematic unless we
have some basic definition of what is meant here, and  it clearly
excludes decision making on public policy issues... This particular
language should therefore be struck out.

Also, our communication , immediately after welcoming the decision and
complimenting US gov for it, shouldupfront say that we are eager to know
more details - especially about (1) whether it means that ICANN would no
longer be under any contractual obligations with the US gov, and be in
independent control of the root zone server, and (2) what happens to the
issue of jurisdiction of incorporation of ICANN and it being subject to
US laws and such and (3) whether any conditions would be imposed in
'freeing ICANN' and if so, of what nature.... And that we look forward
to complete and real globalisation of ICANN, in a manner that takes care
of these issues..

Also, a minor point, about one but last para, governance institutions do
not have customers, only constituencies and the such...

Thanks, parminder