Fwd: Re: [] Re: [bestbits] Three NETmundial submissions launched for endorsement at bestbits.net

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Sat Mar 15 01:48:30 EDT 2014

Avri Doria [2014-03-14 13:08]:
> "When one starts to consider the responsibilities of each of these roles
> one finds that the responsibilities also vary over issues, time and are
> subject to the phase of a process."
>
> http://content.netmundial.br/contribution/discussion-of-principles-related-to-stakeholder-roles-and-responsibilities/201
>
> So yes, stakeholders, qua being stakeholders, are equal in my analysis.
>    But their roles vary according to issue, phase of discussion, process
> and many other features. Sometimes one stakeholder group holds the
> primary deciding responsibility and sometimes others do.  But all always
> have an equal right to be heard as part of the process.

I've been trying to understand this for a while, but haven't found
literature that directly addresses it:

What are the roles and responsibilities of religious groups and trade
unions and political parties vis-a-vis Internet governance, and why are
they so under-represented (if at all represented) in "civil society"?
Don't these embody the "networks of civic engagement" fostered by "civil
associations" that constitute "civil society"?

On a separate note:
Does APC have any members that are trade unions or religious groups or
political parties?  (This is not a rhetorical question.)  Did CPSR have
or does IGC have representatives from such groups?  I can't find any
while looking at ISOC's membership.  (Perhaps the last might be
explained away if we think of ISOC as not constituting a part of "civil
society" for whatever reasons.)

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society