Fwd: Re: [] Re: [bestbits] Three NETmundial submissions launched for endorsement at bestbits.net

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Mar 14 13:08:59 EDT 2014

On 14-Mar-14 09:06, parminder wrote:
> However, this is not what many proponents of MSism stop at. (See for
> instance Avri's submissions to NetMundial process, and several
> others.)They specifically want equal role for all stakeholders – for
> instance, equal role for Google and the government of Brazil – in
> 'making actual public policy decisions'. So, having agreed with you on
> your formulations, may I ask you whether you agree to such equality of
> all stakeholders – in terms, sorry, but need to repeat for the sake of
> specificity, of 'making actual public policy decisions'.

With all due respect, you omit one consideration that is central to my
submitted discussion on the equality of stakeholders, whether government
or non-government

"When one starts to consider the responsibilities of each of these roles
one finds that the responsibilities also vary over issues, time and are
subject to the phase of a process."

http://content.netmundial.br/contribution/discussion-of-principles-related-to-stakeholder-roles-and-responsibilities/201

So yes, stakeholders, qua being stakeholders, are equal in my analysis.
  But their roles vary according to issue, phase of discussion, process
and many other features. Sometimes one stakeholder group holds the
primary deciding responsibility and sometimes others do.  But all always
have an equal right to be heard as part of the process.

I further suggest in my submissions that:

" As we move forward, we need to set aside time and effort to better
understand and recognize the diversity and complexity of roles and
responsibilities in Internet governance."

thanks

avri