[bestbits] Re: [governance] need for regulation ....

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Mon Mar 10 15:03:04 EDT 2014

On 03/10/2014 11:50 PM, Guru गुरु wrote:
> On 03/10/2014 09:19 PM, Adam Peake wrote:
>> On Mar 10, 2014, at 7:26 PM, Guru गुरु wrote:
> Would you agree that google's search algorithm being proprietary, we
> have NO idea if google is using it to capture information every time
> we invoke it, and using it for its commercial (legal as well as
> illegal) purposes (and also for purposes beyond its immediate
> commercial goals, such as the political goals of the US Government, in
> whose jurisdiction, it falls, as Snowden revealed). While this
> possibility of manipulation is true for any proprietary software, the
> search algorithm is perhaps the
> worlds-most_popular_on-line_proprietary_algorithm which makes the
> danger of being manipulated for the political-economic gains of
> certain entities far far higher... something that should scare
> everyone else.

the fear is not just a theoretical one.....
see
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/19/google-pay-17-million-apple-tracking
where Google was found guilty of using its search for illegal activities,
The article says that the "huge fine of $17m " would take Google
slightly more than three hours to generate in revenue on an average
day..... (Lee, we are very tough on Google aren't we :-) )

Guru