[bestbits] Update on NSA reform/PCLOB reports

Eddan Katz eddank at aya.yale.edu
Thu Jan 16 23:44:13 EST 2014

And at the intersection of global and local, the Oakland Privacy Working Group is setting its sights on shutting down funding for the Domain Awareness Centers and their Fusion Centers. We're in the finally month of opposition and think we have a chance to severely cut this off in Oakland City Council in an upcoming Public Safety Committee vote.

Here's our petition:
https://www.change.org/petitions/the-mayor-and-city-council-of-oakland-ca-don-t-sell-out-the-people-of-oakland-to-the-department-of-homeland-security-don-t-vote-to-fund-the-domain-awareness-center

We're hoping that some attention from digital rights networks will be decisive in swaying the key votes. We are trying to get as many signatures as possible in the very short term so that this story can reach its tipping point and ride on the heels of the announcements from the Executive Branch tomorrow. We are also paying close attention to the potential impact of the CA Senate Bill 828 4th Amendment Protection Act enabling legal cover for non-cooperation with the NSA (http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2014/01/new-california-state-legislation-seeks-to-thwart-nsa-spying/).

sent from eddan.com