[governance] Re: [bestbits] Fwd: Re: [discuss] cgi.br release regarding Brazil Global MSM on Internet Governance

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jan 12 23:28:48 EST 2014

On Sunday 12 January 2014 09:35 PM, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
> The obvious meaning is simply that the two structures (CGI.br and the
> /1Net platform) are helping to organize the meeting -- they do not "own"
> it. The phrase could be better written, I agree.
>
> BTW, as soon as the committees are formed and start their work, the
> local organizing group (LOG) will lose its meaning and will dissolve.
> But I think this is obvious too.

I continue to see it as absolutely problematic how civil society
leadership went about making or not making the needed relationships with
the Brazilians in terms of having a central and equal part in organising
the Brazil meeting - a mandate that was given to it since about a month
before Bali, and continually over the subsequent 2 months or so. And how
easily they abdicated this role to ICANN. This may have its unfortunate
impact on the 'Brazil meeting'. I have a relatively better
understanding, and even some sympathy, for the circumstances of need and
real politik that the Brazilians felt, which has led to this decision
whereby 1Net - a fictional and/ or programmed entity created by ICANN -
is now a co-organiser of the meeting on equal terms with the Brazilians.

  In fact, rather *in preference to* this arrangement, I would have
ICANN co-hosting this meeting with the Brazilians. In that case at least
everyone would know who is who. And yes, ICANN is of course pretty
important is the scheme of things. But whatever be its other good
points, it does not have a fraction of similar 'honest broker' image as
the Brazilians do, which was the reason that the proposed Brazilian
meeting evoked such an excitement and anticipation. The shift to an
ICANN co-ownership may be dictated by needs of real politiks but also
causes considerable loss. Hopefully the loss does not outweigh the
advantage, if any. One does understand that moving ahead on transforming
global governance of the Internet will as much be about open and honest
dealings, as it will be about real politik, and if it is ICANN which is
coming out with a part of the solution (only a part, since bigger issues
lie outside the areas ICANN deals with), it may be accepted that they
have a big role in the meeting that deals with this solution (hopefully
among others, pertaining to larger real policy issues).

  On the other hand,  1Net is a fictional entity which IMHO is supposed
to give a multistakeholder wrap to ICANN's intentionality and agency -
and a very significant part/ aspect of this multistakeholder wrap or
clothing is the legitimacy of civil society. This is what worries me.
(What is referred here to as 'ICANN's intentionality and agency' itself
may be a bigger and complex construct, but lets not digress.)  A very
big part of global civil society inter alia sees huge problems with
ICANN-US relationship, and the ideology that wraps that relationship and
also underlies other major axes of global control/ governance of the
Internet. Confronting this ideology as well as the associated
illegitimate levers of control vis a vis the global Internet is among
the major tasks that this part of civil society sees for itself. The
artificially created/ foisted so-called multi-stakeholder space of 1Net
is not at all conducive to this civil society and its purposes and
activities. I can explain why and how, but that would extend this
already long email.

Enough to say, that it is best that 1Net takes no further substantive
role in the Brazil meeting now that the various meeting committees will
soon be in place. Let it work outside the official meeting space as it
wishes to develop common positions, or whatever, which will have to
considered "on an equal footing" with other positions coming from
elsewhere. It will be unacceptable for the outputs from 1Net to be
specially privileged, with the justification that they are inclusive,
since it is multistakeholder entity, which includes civil society, and
so on.

The surreptitiously slipped in, and entirely unnecessary, role of 1Net
in forming the Brazil meeting committees was bad enough. You heard Ian
Peter as leading the coordination committee of four
civil society groups saying that he intends to send the civil society
nominations directly to LOG (perhaps copying 1Net as a kind gesture).
The message there should be clear.

My organisation (and there are many others) will be glad to get a
confirmation from the Brazilian organisers, CGI.Br. that similar
completely unnecessary roles will not be constructed for 1Net when the
tasks of listing participants, and, even more importantly, sorting
substantive inputs, channelising them, and developing final meeting
outcomes, come up. Especially once the Brazil committees are in place, I
dont see any role that 1Net needs to play within the meetings 'official
space'. It is different if ICANN is helping the organisers with some
logistics and so on. But, I fail to see what role 1Net which is really
just an elist plus, now, a 20 member steering committee, with no other
organisational form or resources, could play. But if there is some
continued official role for it, let us know it clearly upfront, rather
than be constantly surprised as we have been with the back and forth on
who is dealing with the committee nomination processes.

Carlos, as you can well make out, this query is primarily addressed to
the core Brazilian organisers, or the CGI.Br. I have the email id that
you published to contact the organisers. However, I am not sure how it
works and who reads its messages and responds, I therefore request you
and Hartmut to pass this on to whoever you think should read it, and get
a response for us.

Thanks, and best wishes.

parminder