[bestbits] To 1Net or Not to 1Net, let's be clear on the question

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sun Jan 12 22:28:03 EST 2014

On 12/01/14 21:05, parminder wrote:
> What is being questioned here is whether we are ready to accept 1NET
> as our single conduit to the Brazilian meeting, which hopefully is
> going to be a very important one for the future of global Internet
> governance.

Will this even be an issue after the civil society representatives to
the Brazil committees are appointed (which should happen within 24 hours
by my estimation)?  Whilst the LOG asked for 1net to be the conduit for
receiving the committee nominations, there has been no suggestion that
1net will continue to be a conduit once the new committees are in
place.  1net, like the LOG, becomes superfluous from that point forward.

I also doubt whether 1net will be able to collectively put forward
anything much substantive for the meeting, because there is so little
common ground.  In contrast Best Bits participants will very likely have
joint substantive contributions through our ongoing processes, and
Norbert has just announced he plans to do something very similar for the
IGC.  So 1net may end up being less of a threat, and more of a damp squib.

I don't discount anything that you're saying about the political play
that the technical community intended to make with 1net, but I just
think it has largely misfired and is not going to be half as influential
or powerful as they hoped it was going to be.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.