[bestbits] To 1Net or Not to 1Net, let's be clear on the question

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sat Jan 11 21:14:17 EST 2014

+1 to Ian's remarks.  Big -1 if it proposed that we should be limited to using the 1net committee representatives to make our own civil society nominations.  We must retain the flexibility to own our own processes for doing that.  Avri (makes a point in a different thread) that the existing members on the coordination group are not inclusive of broader civil society, but this is exactly why using the 1net committee would be a bad idea, as there are fixed number of civil society representatives locked into that committee.  In the coordination group, this is not the case and indeed we now have a proposed pending addition of a CIVICUS representative to extend the group to broader civil society outside of IG.