[bestbits] emails to Adiel

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Jan 11 08:58:53 EST 2014

Hi,

I was in the very crowded rooms for those very short meetings in Bali
that some people may not have been able to get into.  And lets not
forget there was not remote participation in those meetings.  Lets not
call anything that happened in those meetings as 'Civil Society decided'

I do not remember these decision as being decisions for all time.  I
remember the leaders of the room getting passive agreement to beginning
the work by approaching the the Brazilians and getting the ball rolling.
  I do not remember a decision 'we will not work through the /1net on
the Brazilian meeting".

There were no consensus decisions, by any known definition of consensus,
to avoid working through the /1net for all things related to Brazilian
meeting.  At that point, it was still too early to make that sort of
decision.  And we were not a civil society congress that could have made
such a decision.

Because we are blessed to have some very strong CS Brazilians in our
midst, those leading the effort at that point were able to get agreement
for 4 liaisons to get the ball rolling.

I might ad that despite the abuse some of these liaisons are getting at
the moment, they have done well at getting us information before any was
available on a formal basis.  We should be grateful for the work they
did and thanks then for their service.  Yes, the organizers could have
given them greater access to what was going on, but at least one of them
is definitely in the the center of things.

I want to make it clear that I favor the effort to use /1net as the
aggregation point for the non-governmental stakeholders (however we
group stakeholders) for the Brazilian effort.  Beyond, lets see how they
do.  As broad as the coalition of IGC/BB, Diplo, APC and NCSG may appear
to those of us in this bubble, it is not broad enough to cover civil
society as a whole.  We are just the early participants in an effort
that has to expand.  A setup like /1net where CS has a full set of seats
on the steering group seems like a better way to allow ALL interested CS
stakeholders to be able to get involved.

avri