[bestbits] Fwd: [] ATRT2 Final Report

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Jan 9 17:18:46 EST 2014

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [discuss] ATRT2 Final Report
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 17:06:09 -0500
From: Avri Doria <avri at acm.org>
To: discuss at 1net.org <discuss at 1net.org>

Hi,

Every once in a while the question of ICANN's accountability is raised
as a issue on this and other lists.  The Affirmation of Commitments
established a process for an Accountability and Transparency Review Team
to be assembled every 3 years to do a review.  I have written before of
how I believe this is a good mechanism for multistakeholder governance
and a model that could be built upon by other Ig organizations.

Of course a lot depends on how the ICANN Board and Staff take up the
recommendations in the Review.  At this point, I am optimistic because
they have both shown good cooperation during the process of doing the
review.

I was on this year's review team.

Announcement:
http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-09jan14-en.htm

Public Comment:
http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/atrt2-recommendations-09jan14-en.htm

ATRT2 Final Report:
http://www.icann.org/en/about/aoc-review/atrt/final-recommendations-31dec13-en.pdf

Translations into the 5 UN languages are currently being done and should
be available early in February.  I will send the URL's once they are
published, but I expect they will be listed in the top URL.

avri