[bestbits] substantive proposals for Brazil summit - IG governance

genekimmelman at gmail.com genekimmelman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 15:00:39 EST 2014

Well said!

-------- Original message --------
From: Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com>
Date: 02/02/2014  2:51 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: Andrew Puddephatt <Andrew at gp-digital.org>,Marilia Maciel <mariliamaciel at gmail.com>
Cc: bestbits at lists.bestbits.net
Subject: Re: [bestbits] substantive proposals for Brazil summit - IG governance

I wonder if there is another agenda we need to address here.

The dominant models that exist in similar industries, and which I believe are the real battles going on in the world of internet governance, are between governmental control and industry self regulation (aka unregulated industry dominance.)  I think we need to address this and make clear that industry self-regulation with no governmental controls at all is not an appropriate pattern for internet development. Only in this context do I think can we have a decent conversation about multistakeholderism.

Multistakeholderism is, to at least some parties, a wonderful mask to aid industry dominance with no governmental involvement whatsoever.  And here the dominant industry players often find willing supporters in the technical community. I think civil society needs to be clear that, if it supports multistakeholderism, it is not giving support to no governmental involvement at all or to unregulated industry dominance. I think this is a real debate we have to have.

And I think we need to be honest about the fact that not all stakeholders have equal power in this – civil society arguments do not carry the weight of the large internet corporations, and to pretend that ms-ism somehow changes this imbalance is either naive or deliberately misleading.

I mention this here because, by the looks of Brazil and the way the agenda is shaping up, we are going to talk about principles for governance, and this word multistakeholderism is going to be front and centre. I think we need to unwrap it a little and state clearly that the real issues going on are between governmental and industry control, neither of which of itself is of itself a satisfactory model.

That’s just some thoughts which I wonder if we could include here. Elsewhere I think we need to have the larger debate about the mask of ms-ism, but I think also in this paper we should at least mention the battle between governmental control and industry control and how ms-ism is being used as a diversion and cover-up for a more substantial issue.

Ian Peter