[bestbits] RSVP - discussion of governance mechanisms (was Re: substantive proposals for Brazil summit - IG)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sun Feb 9 12:13:58 EST 2014

Gene Kimmelman <genekimmelman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael and Norbert, as someone who practices political engagement to
> promote policy goals on a daily basis, I'm certainly very interested
> in engaging with you on this. But I'm a bit perplexed at the
> suggestion that this lens on IG process or principles has been
> lacking from the process so far.  So maybe you can explain -- is it
> that you have a different theory of how CS can/should seek to become
> more powerful?  A different approach to advocacy than what most
> activists/advocates have been practicing?

What I'm looking to create is a good and productive discussion on
problem statements and solution proposals for making Internet
governance structures (and also governance structures for other global
concerns) robust against capture and other forms of undue influence by
special interests.

Nota bene, I'm not speaking for Michael here, although I hope that
he'll be an active participant in the discussions that I want to make
happen.

Greetings,
Norbert