[governance] Re: [bestbits] RSVP - discussion of governance mechanisms (was Re: substantive proposals for Brazil summit - IG)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Feb 9 03:06:07 EST 2014

On Sunday 09 February 2014 12:56 PM, Ian Peter wrote:
> That's a great article, Parminder, and points to the dangers of
> multistakeholderism being taken over by corporate interests. A real
> and present danger.
>
> But doesn't the same danger exist within the nation state system we
> call democracy?

Ian

This is a highly dangerous statement to make... What we know as
democracy and call democracy is for us - the people - to claim.. Not to
call names, and throw away. And people have risen and often claimed it,
as even some recent events have shown, and more will come, with the
Internet no doubt playing a big role... To speak so loosely about
democracy - that it is the 'this bad system' or that, is as I said
dangerous, and basically giving the priceless human heritage of
democracy away. We have to be very careful to be talking about things
that are so high and valued as democracy.

So, I really do not understand what you mean to say about  'same
danger'... You cannot rise and claim corporatist MSism as you can claim
democracy. Is it a small difference. Recently, a group, less than a year
old, which was protesting corruption on the roads, and being openly
ridiculed as useless and powerless, took control of the government of
New Delhi by wining elections. This was done entirely through crowd
sourced money and volunteers.  Can you think of a similar process for
taking over Davos! But, if you are talking about just the global level
democracy or the absence of it, yes , lets talk about it. I am ready for
the most drastic proposal, as long as it does not involve giving
privileged positions to the already extra-ordinarily powerful global
corporations. Ian, I really mean it. Lets discuss global democracy. That
is the discussion to have.

But before that let us issue a clear statement that we are against what
is happening in the name of MSism, which is really WEF-ism or Davos-ism.
That we are against giving any special political privilege to global
corporates.  That we strongly condemn and disassociate from all those
who openly say (including on these lists) that google should vote at the
same level as a country government in global policy making. Lets get
together and say all this... And then also say what is wrong with the UN
and what we want changed. That is the discussion we need to have.

BTW, whenever some people, Wolfgang for instance, have sought that G 20
- which includes India - takes up a special role in global IG, I have
opposed it, This is where UN is more democratic than a Davos or G 20.
Therefore our critiques and positions should be context specific and
pragmatic, to push things in the right direction rather than the wrong
direction. That is our political responsibility. Simply put, going for
Davos kind of governance solutions - which, sorry to say, I think most
IG civil society is abetting - is the 'wrong direction' to push. UN
reform on the other hand is the 'right direction' to push. The choice,
as actually presented, I see is between the two. And as responsible
political actors we have to negotiate our way - however idealistic in
its final form - through the given landscape where are situated at the
moment, and taking stock of the forces that we can see and feel at work.

If you or someone else has a third directions, clearly different from
the two above, please mention that... I see MIlton's proposals, Jeremy's
MIC proposal, some proposals from Joana's organisation, etc, all of
which give corporates a voting role, really simply going in the
direction that Davos-ists want things to go. They - the Davos-ists -
know that it is tough to simply wipe out the few hundred years of
history behind democracy, and the strength it therefore posses.. To
them, these civil society proposals, where there is a lot of
goodly-goody stuff, but the basic point is that corporates have policy
votes, is just the thing to go for... Once there, they know how to make
it entirely their show with some bones thrown occasionally here and
there to those who need to be co-pted. A historic point like the present
one requires a response that fits contextually, and nudge things in the
right direction. Each of us has to convince ourselves whether our acts
are contributing to the right direction or the wrong one.. And we have
also to convince others and the world, as a group with privileged access
to policy process, which we claim on behalf of the people of the world.

parminder