[bestbits] substantive proposals for Brazil summit - IG governance

Andrew Puddephatt Andrew at gp-digital.org
Mon Feb 3 10:09:34 EST 2014

My own thoughts on substantive proposals are:

I suspect a lot of what we submit will be focused upon internet governance or broad statements of principles. Looking at the Rousseff speech do others think there is value in putting forward a proposal that any governance arrangements should guarantee those goals we think are not guaranteed adequately at the moment - in other words where the current governance system is failing.

Three examples might be:

1.       Net neutrality

2.       Protection for personal privacy

3.       Affordable access
We could say that whatever arrangements on governance are considered that we call on governments and other stakeholders to guarantee these three objectives both at the  international level and in national policies.

I would have thought we have a fighting chance of getting endorsement for this in a two day conference

Andrew Puddephatt | GLOBAL PARTNERS DIGITAL
Executive Director
Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT