[bestbits] Re: [governance] Re: [CoNE-elist 632] Agenda EMC meeting

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Feb 21 18:35:11 EST 2014

Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> I actually disagree with what I understand Norbert is suggesting.
> Starting with a blank slate would create a process favoring those
> with the financial resources to attend the meeting, or a best the
> ability to stay online for 2 days trusting remote access (impossible
> for anyone without robust broadband access and power - and then
> there's simple things like time zone.)  Unless I am missing something.

What is wrong with having a process for creating the output document of
a meeting that “favors” the participants of the meeting? (Here I'm
including remote participants among the participants.)

Especially in view of all the controversies that we've witnessed around
concerns about the legitimacy of the selection processes for the various
committees including the EMC, I'd consider the legitimacy of the output
document to be significantly reduced if it has key elements which do
not reflect a consensus of the participants of the meeting, but which
are there because the EMC put those textual elements into the “initial
input” and then there was no consensus to change them.

If the number of hours which are available at the meeting for working
on the output document are not sufficient for creating the desired
output document, and if this number of hours cannot be increased, then
either there must be a truly bottom-up consensus-based preparatory
process (in which all participants of the meeting can fully participate)
to create the initial draft, or the scope of the intended output
document must be reduced to the point where it becomes realistic for
the participants of the meeting, as a group, to produce the output
document during the meeting itself.

Greetings,
Norbert