[bestbits] [governance] Re: NMI and the Brazilian CGI.br

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Dec 1 17:13:56 EST 2014

On 01-Dec-14 12:39, parminder wrote:
> If we  indeed generally are into being good and accommodative, perhaps
> we could be as giving and gracious with regard to the UN and its
> institutions as well, whether the ITU or a new possible space for
> Internet governance and policy. But we do not offer them similar
> considerations, do we.

Yes, many of us do.

We participate in the ITU (I am sure you saw several of us at the PP
where we were participatory and not at all disruptive), the IGF, the HRC
and work with various other agencies of both the UN and the UN system.
I personally worked with some of the ITU-T architecture and protocol
study groups during the last century before WSIS was even a concept.
Currently many of us are knocking on the ITU Council Working Group
asking to be let in so we can have a seat at their table.  That is
hardly vilification.

Yes, I object to the idea of the UN or ITU gaining supremacy over the
Internet but I and many others have long supported them as equal footing
participants in IG functions.

And yes, I would equally object to NMI or WEF gaining supremacy in IG as
well.  I do not have the impression that they are trying to do this.
And if they try, we better be there to nip it in the bud. But I support
them being equal footing participants in IG in the same way I support
the  UN and UN system organizations.

avri