[bestbits] [governance] Re: FW: [IP] NETmundial Initiative Announces Formation of its Inaugural Coordination Council and a Broad Global Community Consultation Phase | NETmundial

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Dec 26 06:14:09 EST 2014

I feel and share your acute disappointment Louis.

But I think there is more to it than the usual here. The US based
'Internet power' establishment has made a (somewhat) genuine and perhaps
successful cooptation, of the global elite, into a new power structure.
Although it is too early to tell whether and how much will it succeed,
but this new one with its 'apparent global nature' would be that much
more difficult to directly target, much less beat. US is trying to shift
attention away from the getting-too-hot-to-bear fact that it is just too
powerful and too much at the centre of the Internet power system. (
WSIS plus 10 is around the corner and one never knows what people/
countries may do given half a toehold, and this is the formal review of
WSIS !!!) This is that attempt to shift attention by co-opting the
//cr//è//me/ de la cr//è//me/ of the global elite. Yes, in fact it even
may means some degree (very slight) of genuine giving away of power; but
giving away to whom - an elite group chosen for their power in their
respective spheres, and the interests represented by them. And well of
course, the World Economic Forum is the perfect backdrop and stage, and
also the perfect symbol, of such an unholy alliance of the powerful and
the coopted.

With the emergence of this new configuration of Internet power, the
dispossessed and the marginalised of the world took a hit today. They,
and those who purport to work in their interest, will need to rethink
and restrategise....

There will be work to do in 2015 :)

Wishing everyone a great 2015, and those taking a holiday, do take a
good rest (but dont rest your convictions :), we will need all your
energies in 2015)

parminder