[bestbits] TRADE impacts on Net Neutrality

Burcu Kilic bkilic at citizen.org
Fri Dec 19 14:16:14 EST 2014

Thank you Parminder.  I couldn’t have said it better myself.
Just saw this today, it might be of interest to you.
Cheers,
Burcu

INDIA: Government may reverse opposition to trade in services agreement
http://www.livemint.com/Politics/rmX1qpA7UPNhwXZmCBb1tI/Government-may-reverse-opposition-to-trade-in-services-agree.html

Government is exploring the possibility of joining TISA or making a new proposal in services in the Doha round of talks

TISA is a trade pact currently being negotiated by 23 members of WTO, including the US.

New Delhi: I n order to further exploit its inherent advantages in the services sector, India is contemplating reversing its opposition to the plurilateral trade in services agreement (TISA) under the World Trade Organization (WTO), a commerce ministry official said.
India is exploring the possibility of joining TISA or making a fresh proposal in services in the Doha Round of WTO negotiations, the official said, requesting anonymity.

TISA is a trade agreement currently being negotiated by 23 members of WTO, including the US and the European Union. Together, these countries account for 70% of world trade in services.

Launched in April 2013, TISA aims at opening up markets and improving rules in areas such as licensing, financial services, telecoms, e-commerce, maritime transport, and professionals moving abroad temporarily to provide services.

“TISA give you an opportunity to access markets in areas where you have strength. Is it not good for us to really explore and see how the elements that have come into TISA on account of technology thresholds, and on account of broader commitments coming out of TISA being a much better agreement than General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)? Is it not worthwhile for us to explore if TISA could be a good opportunity for us?” the commerce ministry official asked.

The official said services should also be an inherent part of the Make in India programme launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. “If we don’t address issues, which require regulatory reforms in many of these services areas, whether they are logistics, professional services, tourism, healthcare, India has a huge potential out there and we should take benefit out of these through reforms,” he added.

India should not make a negative connotation about TISA and should keep its option open to join it, said T.S. Vishwanath, principal adviser with APJ-SLG Law Offices. “We should not be left napping when such an important agreement is being negotiated. But if we want to join we should join it when negotiations are on so that we can secure our interests,” he said. “There is no point joining TISA after negotiations are over.”

Services contributed 57% to India’s economy in 2013-14. India’s annual export of services is pegged at $151.47 billion in 2013-14, while the export of merchandise stands at $312.5 billion during the same year.

To boost its services exports, which is currently dominated by information technology (IT) and IT-enabled services (ITeS), India has been organizing services conclaves for the past two years. The focus of these conclaves has been to explore new opportunities and identify the challenges in services exports, and create a road map for its sustained and accelerated growth so that the gap between merchandise and services exports narrow.

The official said the whole problem in services is that technology is moving so fast that laws and legislative reforms are not catching up. “There is no reason why technology improvements and legislative reforms can’t keep pace. But if we can boast of being IT industry leaders, then there is no reason why our regulatory processes and technology can’t keep pace. We should find ways of doing that,” he added.

The other option that India has is to present a fresh proposal to the WTO services-related negotiating bodies.
“We submitted a revised offer in 2005 and did a signalling in 2008, why can’t we do signalling now? So much of technology has come in, so much of legal reform has taken place, why can’t now at this stage we go to WTO and say that we are now prepared to offer another set of revised offers,” the official added.

He said this would help in two ways. “One that will hit at the basis of TISA and two, it will get all developing countries together. Because ultimately, to take example of Africa, it may not be a great market for services today, but 10 years down the lane it will be. So we can work towards building new architecture which has potential to evolve in next 10-15 years,” he added.

In services, India has not really gone the way a leading services providing country should have, the official said. “There is a reason for us to work towards seeking domestic regulatory reforms secondly, marry technology with evolution of laws and take a little bold steps to see how you can re-energize the multilateral trading system once again,” he added.

India has little option left but to join TISA as the normal Doha track seems not to be moving fast enough, said Biswajit Dhar, professor of economics in Jawaharlal Nehru University. “But unless we clearly mark out our offensive interests, it will be disastrous if we get into such negotiations and start playing defensive,” he said.