[bestbits] TRADE impacts on Net Neutrality

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at consensus.pro
Wed Dec 17 12:08:18 EST 2014

FYI, I am reliably informed that the exact same, very broad national security exception in the leak today was presented in the TPP negotiations.

And yes, I think trade policy cannot be ignored when it comes to the Internet. There is a proposal for work on electronic commerce in the WTO that was just recently released that creates an opportunity to talk about the positive side of trade commitments.

I know many in civil society dislike trade agreements and to be honest there are things I dislike about them too - but there are some good aspects also. I did a post in CircleID not too long ago on exactly this; perhaps some of you may find it of interest:
Learning to Love the WTO: How Trade Policy Can Save Open Internet - and Bridge the Digital Divide

(Apologies for somewhat OTT headline)