[bestbits] [governance] Re: Looking for your input - NetMundial Initiative

Nnenna Nwakanma nnenna75 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 03:00:29 EDT 2014

Dear all

The position of the World Wide Web Foundation is open and on the blog:
https://webfoundation.org/2014/08/the-fall-of-internet-governance/

SNIP = = =

Here are the proposals we’ll be bringing to these forums to help ensure
that international commitment leverages change on the ground:

   - *Commit to policy coherence.* Companies and governments who espouse
   participatory, democratic processes and defend human rights in Internet
   governance forums should not turn around and negotiate away our Web rights
   in secretive negotiations on topics such as digital copyright,
   cybersecurity, spectrum licensing and surveillance cooperation.
   - *Popularise the issues. *Companies won’t change until they feel their
   profits are threatened. Governments won’t change unless they fear being
   voted out of power. So we need a collective effort to ensure that people
   around the globe understand and care about these issues. We’re playing our
   part by leading the Web We Want <http://webwewant.org/> campaign — and
   as part of this we’re planning a major festival with the UK’s Southbank
   Centre
   <http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whatson/festivals-series/web-we-want>,
   which will take place across three weekends, beginning in September. We
   also fund and connect local activists working for a free and open Web all
   over the world, from Privacy Cafes
   <https://webwewant.org/projects/The_Cryptoparty_Tour_by_Privacy_Cafe> in
   the Netherlands, to public awareness efforts and advocacy campaigns in
   Mexico <https://webwewant.org/projects/CriptoRally_in_Mexico>, Nigeria
   <https://webwewant.org/projects/Web_We_Want_Radio_Phone_Ins> and beyond
   <https://webwewant.org/news/Announcing_the_Web_25_Year_of_Action_Grants>.
   Through our Web Index <http://www.thewebindex.org/> project, we’re
   tracking the performance of countries around the world on digital rights
   issues such as access, affordability, and online privacy. How can you help?
   - *Include more voices.* Technical guidance from “Internet Governance
   Experts” is critical in this field to avoid policy blunders, but the
   conversation is too important to be left to them alone. Representatives of
   other constituencies need to turn their minds to this issue and put forward
   solutions. The World Economic Forum initiative will reach wider business
   interests beyond the tech sector, which is positive in itself — but not
   everybody gets to go to Davos. We need equally creative and well-resourced
   ways to engage small-medium enterprises and start-ups, union leaders, the
   arts and culture community, anti-poverty campaigners, women’s rights
   groups, youth movements, parliamentarians and more.
   - *Open up.* Internet governance affects everyone, and so discussions
   should happen in the open, supported by transparent mechanisms that
   strengthen the accountability of governments, technical bodies, and
   technology corporations to the public. The Internet Governance Forum is to
   be commended for live-streaming their sessions, and we call on the
   organisers of the NETmundial Initiative and the Plenipotentiary to do the
   same. We’ll be providing full and honest write-ups of all our participation
   here too.
   - *Invest in national level change. *International norms are important —
   and we’ve gone as far as to call for a global “Magna Carta” for the
   Internet. Yet it is national level laws, regulations, business practices,
   and market incentives that most powerfully shape the Internet—for better or
   worse. It’s time for a concerted effort to build and pass an “Internet bill
   of rights” in every country that will enshrine citizens’ rights to access,
   privacy, and freedom of expression and association online. To do this
   requires sustained attention, political leadership, and investment in the
   capacity and resources of local civil society.

SNIP =  = =

Nnenna