[bestbits] Why IGF? Chair's blog on 2014 IGF- Istanbul

Subi Chaturvedi subi.igp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 14:40:56 EDT 2014

Dear All,

Hope you will make time to please see the attached blog written by the
Chair of the MAG Amb. Janis Karklins about the 2014 IGF- Istanbul.

You may also wish to translate it into your language, for your local press
and share it amongst your networks and communities.

While the choice always exists, to critique and engage constructively,
especially when you see room for improvement. The IGF, is a space which
remains an amplifier of issues around a free, open , secure, interoperable
Internet. CS has always looked at the internet as an enabler of free speech
and expression. Human rights violations and policies/laws which are
ambiguous or loosely worded impact digital trust and our ability to
actualise potential. Enacted without public consultation they are often
misused and interpreted at will more often than not failing to address the
core problem. Privacy and surveillance are increasingly being pitted
against national security and the two being posited as mutually exclusive.
Governments globally have had a history of engaging with the private
sector. When we look at the issues from purely resources standpoint, they
win. Many friends and colleagues have rightly pointed out that it is
important to recognise the voices which aren't in the room in
multistakeholder participation. And venues are expensive, in destination
cities for meetings. Most CS can ill afford, being present at these
meetings in person, keeping track alone of all the different events on the
IG calendar is a challenge. But it is our tenacity and will to hang in
there, our sheer determination through continuous engagement that, ushers
in change. Friends and colleagues who can't make it this year largely due
to resource gaps will be missed. Each voice brings in a diversity of
perspective and plurality of issues. While we recognise the conflicts and
discourses within, there is undeniable value in speaking truth to power and
being in the room and on the table. Change is slow but it is certain.

There is value in engaging because we have the most at stake. Internet and
Freedom. Both we care for, deeply. The IGF is a safe space and we must not
shy away from raising issues that concern us as a community, however thorny
or uncomfortable they might be.

Hope to see you in Istanbul, dialogue, debate discuss.

warmest

Subi Chaturvedi
 Dear All,

Hope you will make time to please see the attached blog written by the
Chair of the MAG Amb. Janis Karklins about the 2014 IGF- Istanbul.

You may also wish to translate it into your language, for your local press
and share it amongst your networks and communities.

While the choice always remains, to critique and engage constructively, the
IGF still, is a space which remains an amplifier of issues around a free,
open , secure, interoperable Internet. CS has always looked at the internet
as an enabler of free speech and expression. Human rights violations and
policies/laws which are ambiguous or loosely worded impact digital trust
and our ability to actualise potential. Enacted without public consultation
they are often misused and interpreted at will more often than not failing
to address the core problem. Privacy and surveillance are increasingly
being pitted against national security and the two being posited as
mutually exclusive. Governments globally have had a history of engaging
with the private sector. When we look at the issues from purely resources
standpoint, they win. Many friends and colleagues have rightly pointed out
that it is important to recognise the voices which aren't in the room in
multistakeholder participation. And venues are expensive more often than
not, in destination cities for meetings. Most CS can ill afford, being
present at meetings, keeping track alone of all the different events on the
IG calendar is a challenge. But it is our tenacity and will to hang in
there, our sheer determination through continuous engagement that, ushers
in change. Friends and colleagues who can't make it for whatever reason and
most often due to resource gaps will be missed. Each voice brings in a