[bestbits] Nominations for closing civil society speaker at IGF

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Wed Aug 20 11:58:29 EDT 2014

Agree. We definitely should put someone from Turkey on the platform at
the closing provided they are willing and comfortable with being put in
such a role.

Anriette

On 20/08/2014 15:53, Mishi Choudhary wrote:
> +1
>
> On 08/20/2014 12:27 AM, William Drake wrote:
>> I would strongly support this, important to have a Turkish voice
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> On Aug 20, 2014, at 3:32 AM, Carolina Rossini
>> <carolina.rossini at gmail.com <mailto:carolina.rossini at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> Just to add that Burcu has been part of BB for one year now, and was
>>> at the BB meeting in Bali. She has been following the discussions
>>> closely. C
>>>

>>> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jmalcolm at eff.org
>>> <mailto:jmalcolm at eff.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     The IGF Secretariat is seeking a couple of names for a civil society
>>>     closing speaker.  Some people may have received Subi
>>>     Chaturvedi's mail
>>>     about this, but due to a mailing list misconfiguration, now
>>>     fixed, some
>>>     may not have. (The misconfiguration also means we are missing a
>>>     couple
>>>     of months of archived messages.)
>>>
>>>     To make sure that all constituencies have input into this
>>>     choice, the
>>>     civil society coordination group is proposing to forward the
>>>     names, and
>>>     our task is to come up with some suggestions from within the
>>>     Best Bits
>>>     community to feed into that process.
>>>
>>>     I would like to get the ball rolling by suggesting the name of
>>>     Dr Burcu
>>>     Kilic, who works for Public Citizen mainly on trade and access to
>>>     medicines issues.  She is Turkish so she has a good perspective
>>>     on the
>>>     political situation there.  I have worked with her for several
>>>     years on
>>>     the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement and have admired her
>>>     diplomacy,
>>>     her scholarship and her development orientation.  I have checked
>>>     with
>>>     her, and she would be willing to serve if nominated.
>>>
>>>     Please follow up with other names, or with your support for names
>>>     already expressed.
>>>
>>>     --
>>>     Jeremy Malcolm
>>>     Senior Global Policy Analyst
>>>     Electronic Frontier Foundation
>>>     https://eff.org <https://eff.org/>
>>>     jmalcolm at eff.org <mailto:jmalcolm at eff.org>
>>>
>>>     Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161 <tel:415.436.9333%20ext%20161>
>>>
>>>     :: Defending Your Rights in the Digital World ::

>>> --
>>> --
>>> /Carolina Rossini /
>>> /Vice President, International Policy/
>>> *Public Knowledge*
>>> _http://www.publicknowledge.org/_
>>> + 1 6176979389 | skype: carolrossini | @carolinarossini

> Warm Regards
> Mishi Choudhary, Esq.
> Legal Director
> Software Freedom Law Center
> 1995 Broadway Floor 17
> New York, NY-10023
> (tel) 212-461-1912
> [...]

anriette esterhuysen
executive director
association for progressive communications
po box 29755, melville, 2109, south africa
anriette at apc.org
www.apc.org