[bestbits] Re: need for regulation ....

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Fri Apr 4 06:13:07 EDT 2014

In an earlier mail (below), I had discussed the need for the Google
search engine (as the de facto organiser of the worlds information for
most of us, hence the gatekeeper) to be functioning on a public
accountability (and hence transparency) mode.  This will include public
participation in the algorithm design, social/public/community audit of
the algorithm to ensure there is no distortions being inserted in the
algorithms to feed political/economic vested interests etc....

http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/22838-facebook-and-the-future-of-global-governance
discusses similar ideas regarding Facebook, which is fulfilling a
critical social function, and hence, cannot be dictated purely by
private profit considerations alone.... While article also makes some
suggestions on ways forward, it is perhaps more important to first
acknowledge that these are important points for global public policy
making relating to IG.... and then discuss possibilities from a public
interest advancement perspective.

regards
Guru